Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smilodon walking puppet from Page Museum

Options
  • 17-09-2012 7:58am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Walks kinda stiff and at times looks more like a newborn kitten than a ferocious predator but still, I wish the local museum had one!
    Pretty cool work on the eyes, fur and jaws, too. (Was seemingly created by the Jim Henson Creature Shop)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Bit wonky in the way it moves alright, but pretty cool nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If they could perfect the movement a bit more, I'd take it over CG in films anyday. At least it looks real & you know an actor would be looking at it, rather then a green screen. God I hate CG :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

EnterNow wrote: »
    If they could perfect the movement a bit more, I'd take it over CG in films anyday. At least it looks real & you know an actor would be looking at it, rather then a green screen. God I hate CG :o

I like good CG but I agree with you that animatronics/puppets make it look more solid, like there's actually something with real texture and volume there; no matter if the movements aren´t as fluid.
    I think a good combination of animatronics and CG ala JP should be used more often, with the animatronics used for the close ups and stuff.

Advertisement