Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want info on my great grandmother Scully from Galway

Options
  • 17-09-2012 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have living relatives who fondly remember her, and we have some info about her, but we know nothing of her parents or possible siblings. Her birth name is Mary Bridget Scully born Feb. 24, 1872 in Galway Ireland. She was married in Boston Massachusetts March 9, 1892 to Conrad Gimbel, (an American)they end up moving to Ontario Canada and they had 2 children. Conrad died in an accident and Mary marries George Thomas Nov. 14, 1900. They have 6 more children, their only son dies at a young age. Mary dies October 1939

In some research I found a Mary Scully born to James Scully & Catherine Larkin in Woodford Galway. the birth date is listed as June 6, 1872....however, that most likely is the date of her being baptized, as back then that was when they recorded births with the local church, so I read.

Our family has info on many generations of George Thomas, and are interested in finding out about the Mary Scully side. I would like to find out the best way to obtain records there to verify that I am on the right track

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

probably the place to start is with one of the marriages. US certs usually include details of parents which would help confirm, or rule out, possible births in Ireland.

that birth for Mary Scully is an extracted civil record - so it's the date of birth that's recorded.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The Mass. marriage is on FamilySearch - several times, including a couple with her surname mistranscribed. Her parents were Michael & Bridget.

groom: Conrad H. Gimbel / age 34 (c1858)
    bride: Mary B. Scully / age 20 (c1872)
    marriage date: 09 Mar 1892
    marriage place: Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts
    groom's parents : George N. & Ann C.
    bride's parents : Michael & Bridget

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FHX8-SLZ

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Follow Shane's advice and aim to get the death cert, George Thomas marriage cert and then look for an obit in a relevant local paper. A good number of newspapers give some info on place of birth if they were Irish immigrants.

Also, for some jurisdictions you have to apply for a marriage license before marriage and they should be publicly available for that era.

I don't know what the story is with Canadian citizenship laws back then but if she applied for Canadian citizenship then the application could have been quite detailed.

She automatically became a US citizen by marrying an American before 1922 so there will be no citizenship papers to look for.

Overall, one of the key things to remember with US/Canadian Irish is to try and exhaust all the documents on this side of the Atlantic before hinting in Ireland. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tyropa

thanks so much shanew, I am so excited to find the name of Mary Scully's parents! To also get Conrad's is great as well. I need to figure out how to navigate that website better, I would have never found that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tyropa

thanks also, coolnabacky....I am new to all this internet search for family. I have gotten all the info I have so far for our tree from word of mouth. your info will be a big help

• Advertisement
Advertisement