Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Oil in Ennis area

Options
  • 17-09-2012 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

That time of year again folks... I know there was a thread last year on this but I didn't want to be creating a zombie thread ;)

Anyone know the cheapest place for home heating oil? Last year it seemed to be a toss-up between O'Keefes and O'Reillys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055732120&page=3

The thread has been around for years, we just update it sure.

It has all of the local oil merchants in Ennis listed with their contact details.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Cpt, diddley mentioned that he/she found last years thread and didn't want to bring it back up as a Zombie.

For a few years I used to ring around to all the suppliers to see who was the cheapest, everytime I did Michael O'Reilly was the cheapest, his service is also top notch, you don't have to be there for them to fill it (just open your gate if you have 1) and 1 time I ran out of oil and not only were they within me within half an hour but they bled the boiler for me as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Clareman wrote: »
    Cpt, diddley mentioned that he/she found last years thread and didn't want to bring it back up as a Zombie.

It has been going since 2009, updated every oil season and only now you want to call it a zombie thread? Having a new thread every six to eight months with the same topic is a better solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

last week corrib oil wanted 336e for 300l of keroscene.
    banner oil (Campus) wanted 300e for 308l of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Kerosene is around 96c to 1.00 per litre at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Just got a quote for 500Ltrs delivered in ennis and priced as follows;
    OReilly topaz 98c
    Shannonside Corrib 97c
    Clare oil 98c
    Barra 98c
    Okeefe maxol 96c
    Midwestern 97c

Cost per litre inc. vat delivered.

Just got a quote for 500Ltrs delivered in ennis and priced as follows;
    OReilly topaz 98c
    Shannonside Corrib 97c
    Clare oil 98c
    Barra 98c
    Okeefe maxol 96c
    Midwestern 97c

Cost per litre inc. vat delivered.

the quotes my oh got were plus vat. we were only lookinh for 300l though.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I can only afford 100l this year, I wonder if they'd deliver that amount?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Jim Martin wrote: »
    I can only afford 100l this year, I wonder if they'd deliver that amount?

Can't see why not, but I'd imagine they won't deliver until they have other deliveries in the area, couldn't imagine they'd make much off 100 litres, probably cost them more in diesel to get back to you.

I know it's stating the obvious - but if that's all I can afford, that's all I can afford (& I'm sure there's lots of people in the same position)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

my Dad put 1000 euros worth of oil into his tank the week before he died few months ago!

can I sell it legally ? or return it, seems like a big waste

Whoever sold it to you will take it back off you if you explain it to them, it's not unusual for them to collect oil

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Heres Your Future

there was a consumer survey mentioned in one of the Sunday papers recently, the Sunday Business Post I think it was which said that the county with the highest average oil prices in the whole country is Co. Clare, it also had the lowest difference in the price of quotes given by the various local suppliers....hmmmm now why does the word 'cartel' suddenly spring to mind....

Can't see why not, but I'd imagine they won't deliver until they have other deliveries in the area, couldn't imagine they'd make much off 100 litres, probably cost them more in diesel to get back to you.

Just got quote from Tubridys Oils (Estuary), Mullagh, minimum delivery: 143l = €150.94.

Just got quote from Tubridys Oils (Estuary), Mullagh, minimum delivery: 143l = €150.94.

Did you ask if they could remember your order and if they were getting another delivery nearby to call you?

Did you ask if they could remember your order and if they were getting another delivery nearby to call you?

Yes & no sir.

I'd be surprised if any business in this day and age would turn down "additional" business, with the price of diesel/tyres now you can understand why they would have a minimum order amount in place for delivery but I'd be surprised if they'd turn down dropping into you if they were passing.

You could always do like a friend of mine does and goes with his own containers, collects the oil and brings it home, he reckons it works out a lot cheaper and he had the tanks anyway from the time of the bad frost for collecting water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Patlynch

Hi got 500 l from banner oil 95.7 inc vat have got them a few times now and always round off to the nearest euro

Patlynch wrote: »
    Hi got 500 l from banner oil 95.7 inc vat have got them a few times now and always round off to the nearest euro

So that works out about the same as Tubridy's!

So that works out about the same as Tubridy's!

You could always call them and ask do they deliver 100l if they are in the area if Tubridys don't. The worst they can say is no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I ordered 300 litres from Peadar O'Keeffe's yesterday for my Granny, it cost €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 houseinthesun

I rang around a few places last thursday, most of them were €1 per litre, PJRyan in Sixmilebridge was €0.95 with a minimum delivery of 150 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

O'Keeffes delivered to us on Monday-

Price was listed ex VAT but worked out around .97

515 litres for 500E

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I think galvins and mcinerneys sell 20 litres of oil, not sure what price though, and a friend of mine has her oil containers, pops them in her boot, fills them up with kerosene at corrib oil, she just fills up with whatever she can afford at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

has anyone had a delivery from O'Keefe's recently - I can't seem to get through to them at all?

not to worry, called O'Reilly instead :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Donlon and Donovan in smithstown in Shannon do it by the litre too for €1. Usually get 50l (2containers) as our house is very easy to heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

Odered 500L from Shreelawn Oil Cappamore Co. Limerick @ 92c/L today. They serve the Munster Area. Google them for your nearest location

Don't forget that most places quote prices exclusive of VAT, add 13% onto the price of the oil, I got 800l from Michael O'Reilly the other day for €805

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I usually order from Mid-Western oil in Doora. They always quote including VAT so there's no nasty surprise later:)
    Got 500 L from them earlier this week. Think it worked out at 94c/litre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

obvious from posts that all local suppliers are in or around the same at any given time.
    that is to be expected as all would be working off very very tight margins.
    the wholesale price changes at midnight every night. sometimes there may be
    a slight variation in price until a particular supplier shifts particular stock.
    my advice would be find a supplier youre happy with and be loyal to them.
    (we all run out from time to time and loyalty cuts both ways)

Advertisement