Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreadlocks help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I don't, and never have had, dreadlocks but have a few friends who have had them over the years. Firstly, your hair is still too short. Dreads are formed by matting the hair and it would be very hard to do on hair that length. Secondly, every person I know who has had them has either regretted it a few months down the line (once regrowth of normal textured hair comes in) or has ended up shaving their head to get rid of them so think long and hard about it!

I can't help you wrt where to get them done though, most people I know who have had them has a random friend or relative that has done them for them - apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Lunatic Fringe on Grafton St. certainly used to do them, but again I'd think long & hard about it (plus your hair is still too short). The only way to get rid of them is to cut them off and despite what anyone who has them tells you, it is impossible to keep dreadlocked hair properly clean. It also weighs a focking tonne when wet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Your hair is way too short IMO. Your hair halves in length or there abouts when you get dreads.

Anyway, if you're looking for someone decent to do your dreads, send these guys a message: Dreadlocks In Dublin. Shell or Lukas will sort you out.

Btw, you don't have to cut them out - they can be combed out but it could take a few days depending on how thick the dreads are, how they were formed etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MarkyLinkous

Thank you all, i'm living in Galway so that's a long way to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

jenizzle wrote: »
    Btw, you don't have to cut them out - they can be combed out but it could take a few days depending on how thick the dreads are, how they were formed etc etc

If they were done properly (i.e. with beeswax) there is no way in hell of combing them out. Believe me, I used to work in Lunatic Fringe and we'd have people coming in begging us to get rid of them any way but by cutting. You might get the few inches nearest the root combed out, but the ends? Forget it. And the hair does be in such rag order after combing them out that it usually ends up having to be chopped anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Some would argue that using beeswax (or anything else) isn't the best method for creating dreads.

In any case, if you're getting dreads, you'd wanna be pretty sure that you're not going to change your mind in a few months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I've had dreadlocks twice and combed them out each time. Its not easy and it takes ages. I used knotty boy's dreadlock removal kit.

One thing I will say is that there is a lot of maintenance- you need to tidy up your dreads and separate them or they'll end up a tatty mess. Some people love doing this. Some people get their OH to do it- a monkey-like grooming bonding thing. I did not. I had a tatty head. Also they get itchy and really heavy when they're wet.

Your hair is very short now but you could still get dreads with extensions, these can be synthetic hair or human hair, either way they're not cheap. I don't know about Galway but Dublin has a few Afro-Caribbean hair salons that do this kind of thing.

Have you thought of alternative like corn rows? They're much neater but are sore to get put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Metalhead3

I also am a big fan of dreads and live in galway. I did one dread in my hair myself but I would rather someone else did them.

If you find anyone let me know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭borabora

Hi. I had dreadlocks for four years. Shoulder length, white blonde. I'm pretty tanned and would dress fairly girly/elegantly, (eh, fairly...) so they made a good contrast. Especially liked them in the last year or so when I was growing them out...blonde hair tied back from the front- normal...cool pony tail of thick dreads at the back.

They were a complete spur of the moment decision in Thailand, 9 years ago now. Never regretted them, well except for how long it's taking me to grow my hair to the length I want now! Was pushed to do it by my best mates...didn't think about the upkeep and how you need to cut them off to get rid of them.

So they were done super well in Thailand, on Ko Sahn road amazingly enough...well that was the second time. The first time was a few weeks before in Chiang Mai, done with beeswax, disaster. Second time yer man just spent ages knotting my hair with a crochet needle. That's how you want them done. Beeswax is relatively temporary and it feels absolutely gross. They were perfectly done the second time. I washed them with shampoo and conditioner every second day and they stayed put until they grew out. However, I had a few laughable experiences trying to get them done the same way in Dublin. They are very high maintenance. And expensive. Unless you can get someone to do them the way you want for cheap enough...apparently Dublin is much better for it now, it wasn't back then.

You hair is much much to short for it now. My (male) friend had them done around the same time as me with similar length hair and they looked ridiculous. Not saying that yours will, just saying! They stuck out like little tufts, not a good look. Personally my hair was mid shoulder length let's say, and they went up to at least an inch above my shoulders.

So another thing about dreads is that people are pretty quick to pigeon hole you as a gange smoker/drug taker etc. I value my innocent girly look to get away with the aforementioned activities so that's something I'm glad to go back to! Although after 5 years I'm still quite often asked would I get them again, and I wouldn't say never. As a 60+ woman I think they could look pretty damn cool! So advice, wait for your hair to grow and check out your options for getting them tightened before you commit. Good luck!

Advertisement