Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Book Pro dropping WiFi

Options
  • 16-09-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

My partners Mac Book Pro continually drops WiFi during use. This can only be remedied by turning it off/on again. This started some time after an upgrade or 10.8 or delivery of a new UPC modem (they happened very close together).

What can be done for this? I don't get the same issue using my iPad, so I think it has something to do with the Mac Book Pro software setup.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Is the wifi dropping or is the internet just disconnecting? Does it acually say the wifi is disconnected?

What about with the cable plugged direct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

It's the WiFi as the internet works perfectly when on a direct ethernet cable.

Try each of them and see if theres any improvement.

If that doesnt work disable security temporarily and see if it solves it.

if it does solve it try a different type of security.

Thanks, I'll try some other channels.

Do the other settings look ok?

wifi.png

(Mixed has G only or B/G mixed as well as mixed)

sec.png

Should my key renewal be so short in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Another thing you can do is go into System Preference-Network Preferences. Click "Locations" and delete the location you use currently. Then just add a new location again.

Seems to be a bug on a few machines.

• Advertisement

grizzly wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll try some other channels.

Do the other settings look ok?

wifi.png

(Mixed has G only or B/G mixed as well as mixed)

sec.png

Should my key renewal be so short in time?

Ids say leave key as default.

Did you try it with security disabled?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try turning off security tonight. I've already tried adding a new location and let it find it's own new settings.

I think the renewal key is the default. Can anyone confirm?

A quick Google says its 3600 [1 hour] in a netgear router!!

Yours is renewing every 2 minutes. Only way it would cause a problem is if the laptop wasnt accepting the new key for some reason. No reason why it shouldnt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

I had a similar issue with a MBP that was upgraded to 10.8. I found that changing the wireless security mode WPA to WPA2 solved the issue

Advertisement