Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Mile Works????

Options
  • 16-09-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Does anybody know what sort of work went on in this factory when it was open? Its on the Long Mile Road (beside Drimnagh Castle school)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No, but the building has a cool old fashioned front on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

I think it may have been a bottling plant for soft drinks, lucazade, coke etc, been derelict for a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

stanley1 wrote: »
    I think it may have been a bottling plant for soft drinks, lucazade, coke etc, been derelict for a good few years.

Your the third person to say that but nobody knows for sure. If it was a bottling plant, it is quite small compared to other similar plants, probably the reason for its closure.

I have been told its derelict since before 2002?

Its in a fantastic location, which puzzles me as to why the building is not been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

kilograms wrote: »
    Does anybody know what sort of work went on in this factory when it was open? Its on the Long Mile Road (beside Drimnagh Castle school)

Am I missing something here?
    Was there supposed to be a PHOTOGRAPH attached to this posting??

Ernest wrote: »
    Am I missing something here?
    Was there supposed to be a PHOTOGRAPH attached to this posting??

No photograph was suppose to be posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

If its the one I am thinking of I think it was either the old Savage Smith bottling plant or even perhaps the old Wolseley car plant ,not sure about that one but I do seem to remember an old car distribution centre somewhere in that area many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Brooks Thomas were in it for a while Could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

was it not part of the MDL plant up the road. i think it was one big car plant at one time making vw's

http://www.mutec.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=13658

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I worked there for the summer in 1981. The factory made bottle tops, don't remember any other bottling activity.

Hippo wrote: »
    I worked there for the summer in 1981. The factory made bottle tops, don't remember any other bottling activity.

Thank you, the first solid answer, any idea when it closed? was there any other companies in there after the company you worked for?

A factory for making bottle caps, how the times have changed.

• Advertisement

kilograms wrote: »
    Thank you, the first solid answer, any idea when it closed? was there any other companies in there after the company you worked for?

A factory for making bottle caps, how the times have changed.

It was open for a good few years after that, but I've no idea if any other firm used it. There was never any company identification out front iirc. Sorry I haven't any more.

We supervised machines that added the little plastic underseal to the inside of metal bottle caps. Good times!

It was open for a good few years after that, but I've no idea if any other firm used it. There was never any company identification out front iirc. Sorry I haven't any more.

We supervised machines that added the little plastic underseal to the inside of metal bottle caps. Good times!

It just says Long Mile Works on the front, there are no other signs nor are there markings from any signs that ever were on the building.

I know a fella who worked on a production line hammering lids onto washing up liquid bottles :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

BEECHAM OF IRELAND LIMITED, Long Mile Road, Drimnagh, ??? Was it not a factory for the beechems group, Beecham bought companies for various products, adding the Lucozade glucose drink and ribeana also Macleans, Beecham, after having merged with SmithKline Beckman, merged with Glaxo Wellcome to become GlaxoSmithKline (GSK, It then moved out to better patures a far ???.

I am not 100% on this :-)

I don't think Beechams were involved there. My limited research shows it was occupied by IMC Packaging from the late 80s, a plastics firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I remember back in the early 90s the reception area facing the road had nothing but Lucozade products in the window on display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I don't think Beechams were involved there. My limited research shows it was occupied by IMC Packaging from the late 80s, a plastics firm.

I would be talking about the 70,s here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I remember back in the early 90s the reception area facing the road had nothing but Lucozade products in the window on display.

I remember that too. I went to the Castle primary and secondary school and passed it daily.

Very nice information people :) i would still like to know more about it though. hopefully a few more interesting posts to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I remember that too. I went to the Castle primary and secondary school and passed it daily.

as did I. The school football pitches run all along the back of the factories there. There was definitely something to do with coke in one of those factories as we would regularly, ahem, find some coke related products through the slightly widened gap in the fence. I can't say specifically if it was the "Works" factory though, this would have been early 90's.

theteal wrote: »
    as did I. The school football pitches run all along the back of the factories there. There was definitely something to do with coke in one of those factories as we would regularly, ahem, find some coke related products through the slightly widened gap in the fence. I can't say specifically if it was the "Works" factory though, this would have been early 90's.

Ah sure a lot of places use to have loose bars in there fences, it was just a matter of finding them and been rewarded lol. There use to be a dunkin donuts in Cherry Orchard Industrial Estate and a juice factory in Clondalkin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

some more info.

Assignment change from BEECHAM FOODS LIMITED, trading also as THE LUCOZADE COMPANY, a British company of Beecham House, Great West Road, Brentford, Middlesex, England to PROPRIETARIES (SALES) LIMITED, an Irish company of Long Mile Road, Drimnagh, Dublin. Assignment dated 12 June, 1957.

http://www.patentsoffice.ie/eregister/register/TMRegister.aspx?idappli=43839

Architects.
    http://www.dia.ie/works/view/36705/building/CO.+DUBLIN%2C+DUBLIN%2C+LONG+MILE+ROAD+%28DRIMNAGH%29%2C+FACTORY

some more info.

Assignment change from BEECHAM FOODS LIMITED, trading also as THE LUCOZADE COMPANY, a British company of Beecham House, Great West Road, Brentford, Middlesex, England to PROPRIETARIES (SALES) LIMITED, an Irish company of Long Mile Road, Drimnagh, Dublin. Assignment dated 12 June, 1957.

http://www.patentsoffice.ie/eregister/register/TMRegister.aspx?idappli=43839

Architects.
    http://www.dia.ie/works/view/36705/building/CO.+DUBLIN%2C+DUBLIN%2C+LONG+MILE+ROAD+%28DRIMNAGH%29%2C+FACTORY

Fair F**king play to ya. 1957 it opened, i didn't think it was opened that long and it seems it was the same company who where in it all the time. I would like to know when it closed. Somebody who went to Drimnagh Castle could hold the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brendan P.

It was in this factory that I started my first job in Feb' 1963, the year of the big snow. I was sixteen years of age. It started snowing on Christmas night at midnight and didn't clear up until almost Easter '63. At that time the company was called Fox & Co. They made bottle tops for many companies in the beer and soft drinks trade, most notably Guinness. They also made gallon cans and similar items almost exclusively of alluminium.
    I met my first girlfriend, Myra Kenny, from Ballyfermot whilst there. Gerry Dunne (RIP), was one of my work mates, as was Betty Durran, Gerry's widow.
    Fox's employed about 100 people then, mostly young women. I think they officially closed for business in 1976. I hope this is of some interest to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement