Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Finish?

Options
  • 16-09-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Any fans of the Big Finish Doctor Who audios?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Used to listen to them fairly regularly, but the sheer number being produced made it hard to keep up & know which ones to shell out on. Their productions were often very impressive, and really showed how to tell a story using only sound and dialogue.

They deserve praise for how they re-invented Colin Bakers Doctor; softening some of his edges and making him likeable, whilst keeping his arrogance & ego. When I was last listening to them, he was paired up with an older woman too, which worked brilliantly as personalities tended to clash. The McCoy audios were also quite strong and worked to the actors strengths.

Must dig out some of the CDs & MP3s, as I can barely recall the names of the ones I enjoyed; "Spare Parts", "Davors", and "Omega" are three I can recall; I believe they even persuaded Tom Baker to come back & do some adventures.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Listened to a few of these as well and will echo that they really did some great work with Colin Baker's Doctor. Gave him time to shine. His companion - an old teacher called Evelyn Smythe (I'm assuming that's who pixelburp means) was very enjoyable and would have been a great on screen pairing.

Only reason I stopped was the sheer number and my lack of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dark Paintedcurtain

I started off with Omega myself, but I found that I was drawn to the spin offs, such as 'Gallifrey' (a manageable four seasons at the moment with plans for two more before they finish) and Iris Wildthyme who's basically a loony Doctor who travels on a bus that's smaller on the inside with a Panda.

Also the Bernice Summerfield audios are pretty extensive, though Legion is set to be a starting point for anyone knew to it and I've pre-ordered it for when it comes out in November.

Advertisement