Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cement in Temporary Bridge

Options
  • 16-09-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi folks, I have a temporary bridge in place as I wait to get a dental implant. It has came loose and I will need to get it re-cemented. I don't want to go back to the practice where I am getting the dental implant as it is a long journey for a pretty simple job.... but I also don't want to pay an arm and a leg for this. I rang one dentist close to me and they charge 70 euro for the procedure which I thought was very steep for this.

Does anyone know how much the cost of re-cementing a temporary bridge is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You are taking up an appointment with the dentist when having this recemented so I think €70 is very fair. If its a Maryland bridge the dentist may have to use Panavia bridge cement, this stuff is expensive and takes quite a while to set. You are also a "casual" patient having your treatment done somewhere else so the dentist will charge you the same as say someone who is booked in for a filling or extraction.

On what are you basing your assumption that €70 is "steep for this"?

The clinic where the bridge was fitted would recement for free so best to return there, this is one of the drawbacks of travelling long distances for complex treatments.

A couple of weeks ago I charged a patient €70 to recement a veneer she had done at another clinic a long distance away, she was a little put out by the cost and said so. I explained that it took be 20 mins to clean the veneer and tooth, bond it and clean up resin cement around veneer, she could have drove for 3 hours to get it done for free and while she was there, ask why it debonded after only 6 months,.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭top_dog

Yea it's a maryland bridge.
    70 euro for a 20 min job that is not intrusive in my opinion is quite steep.
    I originally lived close to where I am getting dental implant. So close that you could call it next door. I have since moved for work reasons. So thats why I live some distance away.
    I just got the bridge inserted last week and it has come loose after a couple of days. So it was a shabby job that was done.
    Anyway considering the time it will take me to travel and fuel costs I'll get it re-fitted locally for 70.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

top_dog wrote: »

So the dentist that has not been paid before for this job must, set up a chart for you. Clean and re cement the bridge, check the bite etc and take responsibility for it. Store your chart for 7 years, pay a nurse and receptionist, sterilise instruments and use expensive cement, pay for their training and also make a reasonable profit, pay their insurance and indemnity and book a slot of time for you that otherwise could be used to do more profitable treatment for a patient of the practice?. I would say the dentist stands to make about 10 euro after tax for this job.

70 euro is not expensive IMHO.
    I just got the bridge inserted last week and it has come loose after a couple of days. So it was a shabby job that was done.

Go there then and get it done for free, temporary bridges come out from time to time as I am sure was explained to you, that's why they are temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I originally lived close to where I am getting dental implant. So close that you could call it next door. I have since moved for work reasons. So thats why I live some distance away.
    Anyway considering the time it will take me to travel and fuel costs I'll get it re-fitted locally for 70.

€70 for 20mins.... You obviously have never run a business...

The €70 euro does not go straight into the dentist's pocket...!!
    First, that 20mins worth of clinical time must pay it's share of clinical expenses (clinic rent/mortgage, nurse(s) wages, receptionist(s) wages, light heat waste equipment, licences....)
    There is little or nothing left out of your €70 but then the taxman takes half of that.
    So for the few euro to the dentist, now he has taken ownership of your crappy bridge and the next time it debonds you'll be back to him demanding that it be re-cemented for free....
    I'd quote more tbh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

OP, I can guarantee you that your new local dentist will make a loss on this one. The very minute he/she puts a finger inside your mouth, your problem will become their problem.
    The next time the temporary bridge debonds (which by its' very nature it is wont to do), who ya gonna call? More than likely the new guy, you won't be happy having to pay another €70, there'll be the inevitable tussle about the fee, & pending the outcome of that debate, bad feeling on your part (& associated spreading the word locally about this rip-off) or his (working at a financial loss with no future implant to offset this).
    So yeah,the work is "non-invasive" for the dentist. But it sure as hell will be a headache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Hi folks, I have a temporary bridge in place as I wait to get a dental implant. It has came loose and I will need to get it re-cemented. I don't want to go back to the practice where I am getting the dental implant as it is a long journey for a pretty simple job.... but I also don't want to pay an arm and a leg for this. I rang one dentist close to me and they charge 70 euro for the procedure which I thought was very steep for this.

Does anyone know how much the cost of re-cementing a temporary bridge is?

now that I've read your second post would I be right in thinking this is not actually a temporary bridge but rather a maryland bridge , which is meant to last a few years till you get an implant?
    If that is the case I strongly urge you to return to the original dentist just in case there is a design flaw. If you get mixed up with 2 dentists, each one will blame the other if any future problems occur. For longterm peace of mind I'd advise returning to your own dentist for this one.
    It would be good for him to know it came off as well.

Most of the work in maryland bridges is at the fitting stage. It's difficult enough to do when when it's your own bridge (ie same dentist). I bet when you were given a quote for 70 euro, the receptionest assumed it really was a temporary bridge you were talking about (different kettle of fish altogether).

I would charge at least 200 euro to recement a maryland bridge and would allow 1 hour to do it. And I would prefer if I didn't have to do it.

Advertisement