Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to college

Options
  • 16-09-2012 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

''Mods feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong section''

I'm 28 and going back to college tomorrow (3rd year). It's been 6 years since i've been to college and i can't remember what the story with books is. I have my timetable already. Will i go to all my lectures tomorrow and they'll give me a book list? Do i need to bring pens/paper etc...

I know this all sounds mundane but i really can't remember how it works..

Thank you all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I would say they will give you all the information on book lists etc tomorrow. Don't be panicing at all. So long as you have a piece of paper and a pen you will be grand.

A big well done to you on making the decision to go back. Hope it goes really really well for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Don't bother with books (AT ALL).

Bring a couple of A4 refill pads and a few pens.

Lecturers will give you notes/PowerPoint Slides more than likely for class.

You can rent the books out of the library in the college or just use Google Scholar/the college Databases for good articles for assignments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Bring pens and a refill pad, maybe a calculator (depending on what the course is.)

Don't buy any books for at least a couple of months, see if you really need them, or if you can photocopy relevant bits / rent the books from the library / get them cheaply secondhand.

Make sure you have your student number with you, and ID (just in case you need it for getting your student card, if you don't have it already.)

Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

looder wrote: »
    Don't bother with books (AT ALL).

+1
    Books are ridiculously expensive, taking notes at lectures will easily suffice and as another poster said, course texts can be sourced in the library if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I started as a mature student and I've just had my first week. It depends on your course but I don't think I'll be buying any books. Online resources and notes for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Yeah no books for us either all info will be in lecture handouts or online resources. Just bring a refill pad and a couple pens to jot down some notes. Thats what I'll e doing anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Are you seriously asking a bunch of strangers what you need to bring in to your first day back at college?

Bloody hell can you not hazard a broad guess yourself at what items may be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A refill pad and a pen is all you'll need on your first day, usually.
    A wide selection of crayons may also help, but it depends on the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Are you seriously asking a bunch of strangers what you need to bring in to your first day back at college?

Bloody hell can you not hazard a broad guess yourself at what items may be required.

Guy only asked a question ffs. Jesus christ ya cant do nottin these days.

Head down op, dont talk to anyone and dont make eye contact !!

• Advertisement

Thread moved from After Hours

College charter now applies, read before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

When you get your book list go to your local library to see if they can get you the books you need as the college library may not have too many of them in or they may only be on short term loan. Also if you are in Dublin you can go into Trinity and get a reading ticket for the books in their libraries, you can't take these out on loan but you can read them or copy from them in the library.

Advertisement