Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for a car and a motorbike

Options
  • 16-09-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey I'm 18 and just about to do my motorcycle theory test but my dad wants me to get car because he think it be better,safer and same insurance. Since he will be helping me with the insurance so I can't argue with him so I'm wondering how much of a difference would it be for a 18 year old learner driver insurance between a car or a motorcycle a rough estimate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

It will completely depends on what car and what bike.
    You are best to just hop onto an insurance website and get a few quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Bike insurance has always been way cheaper for me. Plus a decent learner friendly bike can be picked up cheaper than a car. Plus tax is cheaper.

The downside is the cost of protective gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 trevdaman

Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

You need to weigh up both bike & car with costs etc.

Boots appx 150 upwards. Helmet appx 200 upwards. Then you have jacket, gloves, bottoms etc.

I aint tryng to put you off, I ride bikes myself. But if you're committed there's no point buying cheap gear - it'll fall apart and wont do what its supposed to.

My advice, get lessons on a bike first, see if its for you. A guy I know runs http://www.irishmotorcycletraining.com/ and is well experienced and knowledgeable. You can hire a bike for duration of the lesson.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭robot7080

Bike insurance has always been a lot cheaper for me too. Bare in mind that until you get your first years NCB you might get a bit screwed. Also, as was already stated its important not to skimp on the gear as you'll just regret it over the cold winter months or if you come off.

If you live around rural roads be prepared to have it parked up for the winter too! Speaking from personal experience I got onto bikes first, after a year I got my test, and kept on it for another year. Sold the bike then, used the cash to get a ****ty car and insure it, and got my test. It's actually a lot easier if you drive a bike to get it too... I'd never even driven a car before and 11 weeks later had my full license. Got rid of the car then and straight back on the bikes!

Do the lessons too... what I learned from them has saved me on a number of occasions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 TTDublin

My advice, get lessons on a bike first, see if its for you. A guy I know runs http://www.irishmotorcycletraining.com/ and is well experienced and knowledgeable. You can hire a bike for duration of the lesson.

Can recommend these guys too... did my IBT with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Like everyone else said good gear does cost but then again it will last too and if your really into bikes no reason why your bike should be parked up for the winter I drive my bikes all year round

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

i got all my bike gear at the rds bike show 2 years ago is back this march i got kitted out for 200 and saved myself €250

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

kevin-46 wrote: »
    i got all my bike gear at the rds bike show 2 years ago is back this march i got kitted out for 200 and saved myself €250

What exactly did you get for €200? Fully kitted out.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Im 20 and started riding about a year ago heres my breakdown.

2000 Ford fiesta ghia 1.4, insurance about €1000 as named driver under father 4 years NCB driving 30 years. would be about double on my own.Tax came to like €380ish I think. Then petrol was say €15 a week for about 60-70km. Car was 1800 at the time. Total = €3180ish

Bike, 125 varadero. 2002.

Insurance in Feb was a learner, was €750(should be around 500 with full)
    jacket was €180, richa jacket, pants were about €30 I think, lock was €25ish, gloves €25 in aldi but i need new ones now so lets buy good stuff that will last you, gloves in reality €100, boots just got some other day €170, tax €65ish, petrol is €10er a week for about 140 miles. Bike was €800. IBT €400, helmet€100

Total €2620

Edit: adding IBT and helmet

I now see that I shouldn't have sold the car **facepalm**. What I will say is though although initial set-up costs on a bike are high, the next year it comes down massively, you have low insurance low tax, service it yourself, no nct. It will pay you back and will be worth if if you see yourself stuck for cash come 2-3 years like I knew I would be. I no longer worry about petrol I go where I want when I want and It wont cost me much at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Doylers wrote: »
    Bike, 125 varadero. 2002.

Insurance in Feb was a learner, was €750(sound be around 500 with full)
    jacket was €180, richa jacket, pants were about €30 I think, lock was €25ish, gloves €25 in aldi but i need new ones now so lets buy good stuff that will last you, gloves in reality €100, boots just got some other day €170, tax €65ish, petrol is €10er a week for about 140 miles. Bike was €800.

Total €2120

And don't forget the IBT which is around €450 depending on how and with who you do it.

I would also say

Pants €100
    Gloves €40-50
    Boots €150 - 180
    Helmet €90 - 400 depends on what you want
    Lock and chain €200
    Brake Disk lock €45 - depending on where you keep the bike.

All in all I would say the cost is more towards: €2,875 (if insurance, bike cost and jacket) quoted above are taken.

I would say you need to plan it carefully. Initial cost is very high for starting out but day to day running is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I only recently started riding in december. Ill give you a breakdown anyways

Suzuki GZ125 - 300
    Parts/Service - 400
    Helmet - 100
    Trousers + Jacket - 80 (Was really lucky with these, got a good pair second hand)
    Gloves - 45
    Lock - 45
    Tax - 67
    Insurance - 970

Thats all that I can think of really. So I started up for less than 2 grand. Although I had my LP well before IBT was introduced so I didnt have to do that (Im planning on booking the modules anyways for feb tho).

When it comes to gear Id recommend going Second hand but getting good quality stuff. The way my dad put it too me was you can buy crappy first hand gear for the same price you'd buy good quality second hand gear.

Anyways go for the bike, deffinatley a lot more fun than a car and with things like petrol you wont even think about it. Takes about 25 quid to fill the tank and itll do for weeks depending on usage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

something interesting today with my insurance. I have bought a new bike, a suzuki gs5002, year 2000. My old bike was a honda varadero 125, year 2002. I will be fitting a restricter onto my new bike since im still in the restriction time. But surprisingly enough, my insurance is actually cheaper per month on a bigger bike. IM paying 37 per month an the minute, it will drop to 33. Not a massive drop but hey i'll take it. Strange how a bike costs me less:confused:

Advertisement