Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[GEAR] Garmin 910xt New Update

Options
  • 16-09-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this has been posted but there is a new 910 update. Here it is along with a list of fixes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Where would people recommend to purchase a 910? Sub4.ie seem to be the cheapest so far.

Hoping to offload my 610 to help buy it. Have it up for sale on Adverts/ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'd hold off to be honest. I've had quite a few issues with mine as have others I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

It seems to have sorted the elevation data and the laps displaying as 00:25/km for me, instant pace is still off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Today looks like perfect water to see if my fourth Garmin 910xt has manufacturing defects too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 IronmanJNR

OUCH !!!

Polar all the way :)

• Advertisement

IronmanJNR wrote: »
    OUCH !!!

Polar all the way :)

Yip Polars manufacturing process is excellent.

However you'll never see a thread about polar firmware updates - cause they don't do them, return to factory for any updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Ok. Hands up! I've finally had a Polar RCX5 returned to me under the 2 year warranty.

Re return to base for updates, the + side of this is the units will be rechecked and retested for waterproofing which extends your warranty for water damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 IronmanJNR

Ok. Hands up! I've finally had a Polar RCX5 returned to me under the 2 year warranty.

Re return to base for updates, the + side of this is the units will be rechecked and retested for waterproofing which extends your warranty for water damage.

How much more of an extention do you get on the warranty ?

If you send your watch back for battery replacement (non-user replaceable models) Polar test & re-certify for 12 months against water damage (in the water proof rated units.)

If you send your watch back for battery replacement (non-user replaceable models) Polar test & re-certify for 12 months against water damage (in the water proof rated units.)

I have to say that I do find Polar support/repairs excellent.

• Advertisement

Is there any point waiting for an improved Garmin 910 to come on the market?

Garmin claim that the fogging is normal, so somehow doubt that they will admit to a manufacturing issue and release a change of model. Having said that, their willingness to replace problem units without discussion leads me to believe that regardless of what they claim, they know its an issue.

Just to update this. The problem was a contact which broke on the HR strap, which meant the HR data was inconsistent & the Fit-test could not be carried out by the owner.

Polar replaced the HR strap & all is well.

I don't think there will be a new version 910xt.

Initial versions of the 310xt were fecked in different ways. They didn't pull them they improved the manufacturing process.

I bought my 310xt in Ireland. It was fecked. Garmin Ireland refused to change it. The shop took the hit on it. Huge respect to the shop for that. Part of the reason I bought my 910xt in the UK.
    Garmin claim that the fogging is normal, so somehow doubt that they will admit to a manufacturing issue and release a change of model. Having said that, their willingness to replace problem units without discussion leads me to believe that regardless of what they claim, they know its an issue.

I'm on number four without any quibble on them, in the last return letter I gave them all the serial numbers and told them to send me one that didn't fall in this range. they did. just need to test it out to see if it foggs. Just not had the conditions.

tunney wrote: »
    I don't think there will be a new version 910xt.

Initial versions of the 310xt were fecked in different ways. They didn't pull them they improved the manufacturing process.

I bought my 310xt in Ireland. It was fecked. Garmin Ireland refused to change it. The shop took the hit on it. Huge respect to the shop for that. Part of the reason I bought my 910xt in the UK.

I'm on number four without any quibble on them, in the last return letter I gave them all the serial numbers and told them to send me one that didn't fall in this range. they did. just need to test it out to see if it foggs. Just not had the conditions.

Hopefully you'll have got a decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Hopefully you'll have got a decent one.

Ah, but then what will he have to complain about. :D

BTH wrote: »
    Ah, but then what will he have to complain about. :D

LOL - you'll miss me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Further to this i submitted an email on it to support the other day and i got back that if the fogging lasts longer than 5-10mins then they will replace. Mine had fogged for much much longer so after the marathon im returning mine. Charger also never worked so needed a new one of them anyway

Bambaata wrote: »
    Further to this i submitted an email on it to support the other day and i got back that if the fogging lasts longer than 5-10mins then they will replace. Mine had fogged for much much longer so after the marathon im returning mine. Charger also never worked so needed a new one of them anyway

Ah okay, that could be why mine were replaced without quibble as I always stated that it was for the majority of runs - which it was.

Did you manage to get an Ant stick and charger with each replacement? Ive had that happen with the one i got replaced so far. Hoping to add another ant stick this time soon too.

• Advertisement

Did you manage to get an Ant stick and charger with each replacement? Ive had that happen with the one i got replaced so far. Hoping to add another ant stick this time soon too.

I did it legit and just bundled everything up and sent back all in one.

by now I can pack a 910xt just like they do in the factory.

I asked them if they wanted the whole package when i was changing the 310 and they said just the unit so i was delighted when the whole thing came. Hoping itll be the same, can never have enough chargers and any sticks!

How many here are using the polar strap with the Garmin HR monitor? I know i get far better results with it but i have noticed when i sweat or when its lashing rain the problem returns. Seems cutting the polar strap between the two clip points solves this but before bringing the scissors i was wondering if anyone here has tried that? It has been particularly bad ion races where ill get no readings until the unit dried out a bit during the cycle or run

More on it in comments @ DC Rainmakers blog http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes.html

How many here are using the polar strap with the Garmin HR monitor? I know i get far better results with it but i have noticed when i sweat or when its lashing rain the problem returns. Seems cutting the polar strap between the two clip points solves this but before bringing the scissors i was wondering if anyone here has tried that? It has been particularly bad ion races where ill get no readings until the unit dried out a bit during the cycle or run

More on it in comments @ DC Rainmakers blog http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes.html

really? problems with polar????

Yeah if you look at some of the bike segments in some of this years races you'll see HR data is woeful (Mallorca, Rosslare Pikeman Olympic, Lost Sheep etc). Happens now and then on really wet days too but not too much.

really? problems with polar????

Dont worry Tunney, its just a bad dream.

Not sure about that. Presumably the Garmin strap has properly terminated the internal wiring / pickups in their strap which is why is can be split there. Polar seems to have some kind of binding connection between the cintact nodes.

I'm sure the circuits are not connected but there must be a reason for the join.

See post 54 in t DC Rainmaker blog. It's just a plastic strut. Cut away, sure if it doesnt work you could always get another strap.

Advertisement