Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 64bit problem

Options
  • 16-09-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    a friend bought a new Acer i5 laptop and windows 7 64 bit came per-installed. One of the programs she wants to run is Jaws PDF creator which is only compatible with older per-Windows 7 versions (http://www.jawspdf.com/download/index.html). What is the solution to this problem.....I thought Windows 7 was capable of running older Windows version 32bit programs in a vm or something.
    TIA John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,730 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

From that site, in plain red text:
    The products on this page are not supported and will not run under any version of Windows 7 operating system.
    For a Windows 7 compatible product, please see our gDoc family of products available via the gDoc Website.
    Jaws PDF Creator/Server does not support Microsoft Office 2010. gDoc products will offer Office 2010 compatibility with a release in early 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

Here is the answer I was looking for............

"How does Windows XP Mode work?
    Windows XP Mode works in two ways—both as a virtual operating system and as a way to open programs within Windows 7. Windows XP Mode runs in a separate window on the Windows 7 desktop, much like a program, except it's a fully functional version of Windows XP. In Windows XP Mode, you can access your physical computer's CD/DVD drive, install programs, save files, and perform other tasks as if you were using a computer running Windows XP."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Walker34 wrote: »
    Here is the answer I was looking for............

"How does Windows XP Mode work?
    Windows XP Mode works in two ways—both as a virtual operating system and as a way to open programs within Windows 7. Windows XP Mode runs in a separate window on the Windows 7 desktop, much like a program, except it's a fully functional version of Windows XP. In Windows XP Mode, you can access your physical computer's CD/DVD drive, install programs, save files, and perform other tasks as if you were using a computer running Windows XP."

Not all versions of Windows 7 support XP mode. Home Basic or home Premium do not, professional does though. It looks like you will also need to be using a pre-Office 2010 version going by what Overheal posted.

Nick

Advertisement