Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving from ireland to england in a hurry. need help please!

Options
  • 16-09-2012 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi i need to move to england in the comming few weeks. right now im 20, unemployed and will be leaving with my i.d and whatever money i have and the cloths on my back.. dont know anyone in england or even to look where to move to! i dont have a leaving cert and would be looking for courses there but the logistics of moving is kinda overwhelming. so any advice or help would be great.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I guess one question is,why the hurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnny2x4gally

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I guess one question is,why the hurry?
    Just stuff going on and need to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

whatever is going on with youre life in ireland try and sort it out,dont head over here without at least 3k in sterling.

money will just eat true ure hands a deposit alone will cost up to 1200 pound,no work lined up no freinds to help u will fall on hard times and this is a lonely place without help.

my advice sort out issuses at hope first as ure doing that apply online for work here.
    take care.

whatever is going on with youre life in ireland try and sort it out,dont head over here without at least 3k in sterling.

money will just eat true ure hands a deposit alone will cost up to 1200 pound,no work lined up no freinds to help u will fall on hard times and this is a lonely place without help.

my advice sort out issuses at hope first as ure doing that apply online for work here.
    take care.
    I agree with this,i have 2 friends who went to london,ended up homeless in camden and back within a month worse off than before they went.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Foxeye

You should contemplate on the pervious comments before you decide to move.:confused:

This would be my list of items if I was moving to the UK.

Sort out a place to live. Make sure it’s near a transport hub so you can utilise public transport. Renting can be very expensive in the south east of England.

Register for a National Insurance number same as PPS number here.

Register with a Doctor and get a medical card.

Register with Recruitment agencies like Adecco, Hays there are many more.

Opening a bank account in the UK can be time consuming.

Make sure you have a passport which is valid.

Full Irish drivers licence will work fine in the UK, you can exchange for a UK version if required.

Birth cert.

You will need to pay Council tax.

Car insurance in the UK for young drivers can be expensive.

Find you’re nearest Irish centre or GAA Club so you can build a network of friends and local information.

Get A to Z map of city.

UK mobile prepay phone.

Internet access.

Update your CV.

Make sure you have a suit for interviews.

It can be scary for the first few weeks but once you get into a routine it helps a lot.

You may be stuck in a job for a year or two where you just making ends meet but hopefully you will progress up the work ladder. The grass is not always greener on the other side but if you work hard you will go places and meet some fantastic people.

Best of Luck ,:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It sounds like you've got no reasonable prospects in the UK, no idea what you could do here to make a living, and no notion of even which country, never mind city, you want to make your new home. And you've got no savings, no contacts, and no plan.

it is highly unlikely that your move will work out successfully if you proceed in this way. You need to have at least a couple of grand set aside (and that's absolute minimum, assuming you move somewhere cheap) along with a plan for what you're going to do to land a job and make a living. What makes you a better prospect than a local British school-leaver who has lined up an apprenticeship? Because that's your competition and you'll be up against a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I dont want to take over the thread, but it has been mentioned here a couple of times. What kind a money should I be looking at? I have roughly €6,000 (not to hand, some of it is owed to me but can be called in fairly easily) but I'm not looking to move until next summer. Would I need much more than that? I intend to rent and the rates in the area I'm looking at are very nice.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I dont want to take over the thread, but it has been mentioned here a couple of times. What kind a money should I be looking at? I have roughly €6,000 (not to hand, some of it is owed to me but can be called in fairly easily) but I'm not looking to move until next summer. Would I need much more than that? I intend to rent and the rates in the area I'm looking at are very nice.

I guess it all depends on you're employment prospects.If you're going straight into a job €6000 should be more than enough,if not then bring as much as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

Fysh wrote: »
    It sounds like you've got no reasonable prospects in the UK, no idea what you could do here to make a living, and no notion of even which country, never mind city, you want to make your new home. And you've got no savings, no contacts, and no plan.

In fairness, he did say England. I take that as I see it and give him the benefit of the doubt regarding the ability to differentiate between England, Britain and United Kingdom - something which 90% of Irish people are sadly incapable of doing. But thats besides the point.

OP you sound like you have no plan of action and it sounds distincly like you are running away from something since you need to go fast. Are you in trouble with the law? An upcoming maintenance agreement perhaps?

Either way you need to sort out whatever issues you have going on her first.
    Realistically, you are not going to get any sort of decent job if you haven't even got a leaving cert. Can you get on BTEA and get at least some sort of a basic qaulification before you go to England.
    Would I need much more than that? I intend to rent and the rates in the area I'm looking at are very nice.
    In the South East at least, there's no such thing as "nice rates". Unless of course you're moving to Stevenage in which case any savings will be more than offset by the need to invest in padlocks and 10' high steel hoarding topped with razor wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I guess it all depends on you're employment prospects.If you're going straight into a job €6000 should be more than enough,if not then bring as much as you can.

Probably wont be straight into a job (as in having one waiting, which is what I assume you mean) but I dont plan on sitting around doing nothing either. I search websites for jobs in the area every few weeks and always find at least two or three (sometimes up to ten) jobs for my qualifications right now. I'll have more by the time I go so hopefully a few more options. Doing the same searches here brings up nothing.
    In the South East at least, there's no such thing as "nice rates". Unless of course you're moving to Stevenage in which case any savings will be more than offset by the need to invest in padlocks and 10' high steel hoarding topped with razor wire.

I was told the further south you went the more expensive it is alright. I'm talking midlands near Nottingham (but not actually Nottingham). I'll take note never to go to Stevenage anyway! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 CHERRYPRECIOUS

Hullo everyone , just a quick one , am planning on relocating to the UK too, thing is, i have two little boys ages 5 and 9yrs . .Any idea of the best area to bring up kids in the uk , two i need a carrier change to Nursing am graduating from college this yr with a Microbiology degree , does anyone have an idea what the procedures are in the Uk to get in Nursing at a postgraduate level?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 merchant of ennis

Hullo everyone , just a quick one , am planning on relocating to the UK too, thing is, i have two little boys ages 5 and 9yrs . .Any idea of the best area to bring up kids in the uk , two i need a carrier change to Nursing am graduating from college this yr with a Microbiology degree , does anyone have an idea what the procedures are in the Uk to get in Nursing at a postgraduate level?

1. I am guessing you mean Career change

2. See the NHS Careers homepage:-

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/

that should give you the answers you need.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement