Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Opinions from People who have moved to the UK from Ireland

Options
  • 16-09-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Do you regret it or happy with your decision

How did you start the process of moving.

schooling system

healthcare system

IN general was it a good or bad decision for you.

Myself and my family are thinking of relocating there and are looking for honest opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I moved here a few months back. Hope to home next summer again but this is my experience so far ( i'm in Bristol):

people are almost like home-friendly and polite.

Traffic is manic

road tax is much cheaper. Rent is expensive and then there is council tax and water charges

healthcare: haven't had much interaction with the system here but
    visits to the GP are free. you just have to register with a doctor ( if they are accepting registrations) and then wait two weeks for an appointment!

Schools - no kids myself but the other half is a primary school teacher and here impressions are that the system over here is better funded but that the kids seem not to be at the same level as those at home. Just an opinion not a fact before anyone starts on me! class sizes are the same from what she has seen. Teachers do a lot more paperwork here than home but have less contact time with the pupils.

I like england and the english. They do some things well ( the olympics) and some things really badly ( double and even triple roundabouts which I saw today in Swindon!).

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Have you seen the magic roundabout in Swindon? 6 roundabouts in one - and it works a treat.

You can go around it either way. Spent ten years in Swindon the last time the Irish economy imploded.

Anyway.

The NHS is very good, but geared toward maintenance rather than immediate recovery - most places you have to book, but some have walk-in clinics. The local hospitals have "nurse only" minor injury clinics and you just walk-in and are sorted out - no money, no hassles!

The education system lacks the academic focus of Irish schools, they really don't take education as seriously as we do at most levels. The primary schools do a lot of creative and media work though.

A lot of secondary schools don't do the "A" level exams - imagine an Irish secondary school that doesn't do the Leaving! The grammar schools are an exception - they expect and push the kids for academic success.

The English and Welsh (I live on the border) are nice enough, no problems with them, and they can be very open and neighbourly (the neighbours give me surplus tomatoes). There is no "Irish thing", most people have Irish blood in them somewhere along the line.

Food is about the same - Tescos and the rest are slightly cheaper than Ireland, Lidl, Aldi, slightly dearer. The exchange rate makes everything more expensive in comparison.

The language is almost the same - but not identical - no "hot press", no "kitchen press", no "sliced pan". No Brennan's bread!!

One thing that I find amusing is they've never seen an Irish shovel, all they have is scutty little things with short handles.

Still, it's not home, and it far enough away.

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

I have two aunts who moved there during the 80's,they say it was the best thing for them,there are more services,and stuff is cheaper generally still cheaper,the dole is lower you get vouchers for food,but some extra cash for yourself too.

There are more jobs there,and if you are in a teaching profession,its the place to go right now,or if you are in a caring profession,i have put in a few cvs for over seas and one of them got back to me this week.

Theres F - all in ireland right now with regards to jobs,i was lucky to secure part time hours with dunnes.Its ridiculous it doesnt even keep me above the dole being on the part time gig,monetarily i would be better off financially on the dole.

And the whole FAS job bridge thing?Its a job blocker,it robs what could be a paid job advertised right out of the community they proport to help.

They are known to displace jobs nationally.

With all that crap going on in ireland we are better off emigrating to oz or the uk or canada if there still hiring..

In Oz theres meant to be loads of jobs,i will be taking a look there too..

Oh, yes - that's one major difference, for now, the politicians are marginally more competent. Things work as they should, by and large.

There is less stupid stuff - though that's increasing - and the local authorities are adequate, unlike the expensive parasites we have.

yes the round about in swindon is interesting.

Not sure the poltics boys are any better than home. didn't one of them claim expenses for cleaning a moate? Ivor Calley wouldn't get a look in!

roads are really busy every hour of the day.

Food is expensive in the supermarkets. The bread is absolute muck and lasts for weeks but you can get kerry gold in sainbury's so that improves the taste a bit!

Oz is a bubble waiting to burst. UK is a steady bet and isn't a million miles from home but it is far enough away to make it hard to get home in a hurry if something goes wrong at home. Keep that in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I moved permanently about 20 months ago.

In general the English are good hosts but with any country in the world you get your idiots. Like you would in Ireland avoid places you are not comfortable in.

The cost of living goes down the further north you go.

The NHS is not as bad they say. I've heard stories in the media about waiting two weeks for an appointment with a doctor. Neither myself or mrs questionmark? (with different doctors) nor anyone I know has waited that long.
    The only catch is you have to ring between say 8 and half 8 or you cant get an appointment. If that happens you merely go to a walk in centre. There is usually a few in each city.

Public transport is a viable option in most of the country for going to work. The nearer you get to the south the more expensive the trains tend to be.
    The buses generally work and again once you know what your doing you'll get by for the cheapest cost possible.

You don't need your credit card to go for a few drinks and food like you would in Dublin.
    Depending on time, day, location and pub you can get pints for £2 anywhere in the country rising to £4 at times.

Their education system is a bit mental its one thing we got right in Ireland.
    Also if you went to college don't say that over here as they call college a place where you would do the equivalent of the leaving cert or PLC courses.

Also if you have kids it can be hard to get them into a school due to the demand on place at the moment but it is possible.

The UK is ethnically diverse. Ireland does not have a patch on it. In most cities don't be surprised to see a women in a burka, a skin head in a football top and a budda on the same bus been driving by a Jamaican.
    Although it can cause problems it means there is always something new to experience.

Car Insurance is expensive but on the other side road tax is minimal compared to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Hi. I moved to the UK as a nurse and lived in many different areas, owing to the nature of my husband's work.

I can say with absolutely certainty, that my years living in the UK were among the best of my life and I have lived in a number of European countries as well, so I can make comparisons.

Your settling down depends on your own attitude, your willingness to integrate, your sense of optimism and a positive attitude.

I found that the Citizens Advice Bureau were incredibly helpful and have access to a wealth of information regarding a wide range of topics.

Once you have decided on a location, then access as much info on that place as possible; You will find information on line regarding housing, schools in the area, crime rate, hospitals, social activites, transport etc etc.

I highly recommend that you inform yourself well before making your decision and this will help you to avoid any serious issues or disappointments.

The standard of health care can vary widely depending on the Health Authority standards of the region you live in; rich areas for example tend to have better facilities, but of course there are always exceptions to the rule.

I enjoyed an excellent quality of life in the UK and was welcomed warmly by both working colleagues and in social circles.

I hope that your experience will be as successful and positive.

So manyof our fellow countrymen have successfully made their lives in the UK and generally you will find that the ones who have issues and find things to moan about, would do likewise at home!

Please feel free to fire more questions if you find this response to be lacking.

I wish you the very best.

Bread is muck? Ah now, please tell me that was a joke! The bakeries have an amazing choice of breads, as does Sainsbury's and Waitrose own bakeries; even Irish bread, Italian bread, French bread, and of course German Rye bread.

I guess that if you were used to the best baked by Mammy herself that you could justify your statement.

This is not a criticism... just a bit of banter and in a well meaning effort to ensure that those considering a move will not be of the opinion that they will have withdrawal symptoms regarding missing decent bread!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

I'm English living in Ireland and I can't really say I miss anything of my home country...well maybe actually being able to work....but that's only one thing. :rolleyes:

That is great to hear and sounds like a success story.

I guess a lot depends on our attitude in life, how we view it and what we want from it and everyone eventually finds their own path, where ever.

Long many your contentment last.

Best wishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

havetoquit wrote: »
    Bread is muck? Ah now, please tell me that was a joke! The bakeries have an amazing choice of breads, as does Sainsbury's and Waitrose own bakeries; even Irish bread, Italian bread, French bread, and of course German Rye bread.

I guess that if you were used to the best baked by Mammy herself that you could justify your statement.

This is not a criticism... just a bit of banter and in a well meaning effort to ensure that those considering a move will not be of the opinion that they will have withdrawal symptoms regarding missing decent bread!!!

25 years here and the basic slice pan is muck

bacon sambo with butter and Irish sliced pan = heaven

Other than that, not much wrong here

havetoquit wrote: »

I can't afford to shop in Waitrose! fair enough the "fancy bread" ( for want of a better description) is good , but then its good in every country. The Uk equivalent of Brennans or Pat the Bakers is infacta , muck and does last for weeks. not only does it last weeks, it stays soft which is really weird!

When my first loaf was still soft after two weeks , I though about going home but then I decided I might be over reacting........

Other than the Bread and the magic round abouts, I can't say a bad word about my experience in the UK really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

been in the uk for fifty years......never been out of work..(retired now)....

nhs very good....i have had two major operations......great job done.....

people are like everywhere else, you make friends and they are the same as ireland......

education oppertunities are there if you want them.......

i have worked in construction...never been short of a penny since i arrived.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I moved to the UK (Northern Ireland) one year ago. Most people are OK, one or two twats but no different to home. NHS is really good. Cost of living is really good. Work is much better than at home. Houses are about the same price to rent but smaller. Schools are about the same, less homework maybe. Roads can be very much like Dublin or Galway. Overall its a more comfortable life, more money in your pocket, less stress and better services but theres no craic like back home. Im only a few hours drive from home so NI works well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

I personally know 8 people who became unemployed here and moved to UK in the last 12 months. All of them have found a job within 2 - 3 weeks. From shop assistants and cleaners to accounting and IT professionals.

OH, yes, there's work if you want it, all right! Depending on the area, I suppose. Where I am now they are finding it hard to get shift workers - minimum wage, but all the hours you want!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

OH, yes, there's work if you want it, all right! Depending on the area, I suppose. Where I am now they are finding it hard to get shift workers - minimum wage, but all the hours you want!

sign me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Two questions.

1. What kind of work is it?
    2. Whats minimum wage in England? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Two words-Real Ale, I really can't get enough of it.

• Advertisement

Amen. Always surprised given the Irish love of booze and pubs that when it comes to beer there's nothing but stout and crappy foreign lager served up here. I can't believe the English didn't have more of an influence over Ireland in this area!

Still, I home brew which produces a nice drop for a reasonable price.

And as for the bread...I must be missing something. I do like the Irish soda bread but the rest of it seems exactly like I could get in England. :confused:

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    Amen. Always surprised given the Irish love of booze and pubs that when it comes to beer there's nothing but stout and crappy foreign lager served up here. I can't believe the English didn't have more of an influence over Ireland in this area!

Still, I home brew which produces a nice drop for a reasonable price.

And as for the bread...I must be missing something. I do like the Irish soda bread but the rest of it seems exactly like I could get in England. :confused:

There is no crust on your average sliced pan in England.

For me, pre-sliced pre-packaged bread is inferior anyway. A fresh baked loaf is 10x better. If people want to say crappy Irish sliced bread is better than crappy UK sliced I'll not argue - but to me that's like comparing different instant coffee brands or different lagers.

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    For me, pre-sliced pre-packaged bread is inferior anyway. A fresh baked loaf is 10x better. If people want to say crappy Irish sliced bread is better than crappy UK sliced I'll not argue - but to me that's like comparing different instant coffee brands or different lagers.

Why not compare instant coffee brands and different lagers, it does not take much effort to make the basics taste better.

Why not compare instant coffee brands and different lagers, it does not take much effort to make the basics taste better.

I guess the general gist of my post was that these are all inferior products and for the same cost or just a little more you can buy something much better. Saying bread in the UK isn't good when it's perfectly easy to buy a nice fresh loaf in any supermarket isn't right. Fair enough if you had to pay a much higher premium then we aren't comparing like for like but that's not how I remember it being.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I think you can get used to any food fairly quickly. My parents went to America recently and brought me back a big bag of M&M's. You notice the difference in taste at first but it doesnt last long. It's only because it isnt what you are used to. Once you get used to it, I reckon you wont notice much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

That's my favorite thing about the UK. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

And don't whatever you do ask for a Pan, or a sliced pan in a shop in England!

My Mum did once many years ago, and they sent her to the hardware store :))

(They call it a loaf of bread).

Advertisement