Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU help

Options
  • 16-09-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everybody,
    I'm building my first gaming pc and would appreciate your advice.
    The parts I'm getting atm are

i5 3570k
    asus P8Z77-v lx motherboard
    Corsair gs700 700W power supply
    nzxt phantom case
    a sony disk drive
    Corsair vengance ram
    a 64gb ssd and a 1tb hdd

Now for the part I need help with, the gpu.
    I have friends that are getting the 7950 but I cant find any good reviews of it anywhere. I was thinking of getting the 660 ti but I hear good things about the 670. Anyway I would really appreciate your help and I would like to buy from Amazon.co.uk please smile.png

Also I don't have any idea what sort of cables I need apart from a HDMI/DVI for my monitor but beyond that I don't have a clue
    And if you have any knowledge of it what are those things called that I need to connect to the internet, my friend said he would order me 1 smile.png

Anyway thanks for your help wink.png
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Hi everybody,
    I'm building my first gaming pc and would appreciate your advice.
    The parts I'm getting atm are

i5 3570k
    asus P8Z77-v lx motherboard
    Corsair gs700 700W power supply
    nzxt phantom case
    a sony disk drive
    Corsair vengance ram
    a 64gb ssd and a 1tb hdd

Now for the part I need help with, the gpu.
    I have friends that are getting the 7950 but I cant find any good reviews of it anywhere. I was thinking of getting the 660 ti but I hear good things about the 670. Anyway I would really appreciate your help and I would like to buy from Amazon.co.uk please smile.png

Also I don't have any idea what sort of cables I need apart from a HDMI/DVI for my monitor but beyond that I don't have a clue
    And if you have any knowledge of it what are those things called that I need to connect to the internet, my friend said he would order me 1 smile.png

Anyway thanks for your help wink.png

Hey there

That's pretty much an identical spec to my new pc... Including the case. It looks great in white!

I had the same debate re gpu. I was very close to going for a to 7950 / 7750 as they were great value for the performance.... But I decided on a superclocked 4gb evga gtx 670 as I got a decent price from aria.

All runs very very well, so it has my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

7950 over the 660ti hands-down. Personally I'd also prefer it to the 670.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ViperHiggins

Thanks for the help I think ill go for the 670.
    I'll get it after i get my computer up and running seeing as this is my first time building a PC
    Thanks for the help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

another thumbs up for the GTX 670 here ,

i have the ASUS GTX 670 DIRECT CUII TOP its the factory overclocked version of the GTX 670 and boasts almost identical performance to a GTX 680 its a beast :cool:

Thanks for the help I think ill go for the 670.
    I'll get it after i get my computer up and running seeing as this is my first time building a PC
    Thanks for the help!!

Here's the exact 4GB model I got http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0087ZSJRQ/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=actorstuff-21&camp=2902&creative=19466&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B0087ZSJRQ&adid=1P0DMXZ6VABFR72QJ7CN&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fhtmledit.squarefree.com%2F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Get the low profile vengeance ram or another brand to avoid heatsink conflicts.

Sony have left the optical drive market, I suggest you buy a different brand.

The GS700 is an ok PSU but you don't need 700W and you could save a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ViperHiggins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I was only going to get the 2gb but I might be able to afford the 4gb if I wait a while :D

Why? It'll make absolutely no difference in games, if you find a game that needs more than 4GB of Vram you've found a game that will destroy your GTX 670. It'll run out of muscle before it runs out of memory.

Eboggles wrote: »
    Why? It'll make absolutely no difference in games, if you find a game that needs more than 4GB of Vram you've found a game that will destroy your GTX 670. It'll run out of muscle before it runs out of memory.

As far as I'm aware the higher Vram comes into its own and begins to make a difference in ultra high resolution and multi-monitor setups. It was the same price as the 2GB version for me, so it was a no brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

vard wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the higher Vram comes into its own and begins to make a difference in ultra high resolution and multi-monitor setups. It was the same price as the 2GB version for me, so it was a no brainer!

It doesn't because of reasons already outlined, but if it was free I guess that's an ok reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement