Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second year getting the grant, do I need to do anything?

Options
  • 16-09-2012 1:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

This is only my second year getting the grant, I emailed them to ask do I need to apply again for this year and they said no, but this seems suspiciously hassle-free :pac:

When I registered for this academic year the online form asked was I in receipt of the grant, I said yes and only had to pay ~200 euro. Is that it or do I need to bring something into the college or anything? Do I just leave it and wait for the first maintenance payment?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Normally you are sent renewal forms to fill out by the county council or vec

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Normally you are sent renewal forms to fill out by the county council or vec

Depends on the co co/vec. Mine didn't send out the renewal forms, I had to go looking for them. I'd call them again if I was you because it seems unusual to not have to send any more documents in as this is the norm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

The email I got from Galway CC:
    You will not need to re-apply for the student grant for the 2012/13 academic year. Once you have passed your exams and are progressing to the next year of your course, your grant will continue as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jayo999

I just got my repeat exam results the other day and I failed two of them but I am still progressing to second year but I have to carry these subjects with me. Does this mean I am still eligible to get the grant as I was on it last year and my families circumstances/income has not changed?

jayo999 wrote: »
    I just got my repeat exam results the other day and I failed two of them but I am still progressing to second year but I have to carry these subjects with me. Does this mean I am still eligible to get the grant as I was on it last year and my families circumstances/income has not changed?
    Which college do you go to which allows that?

It's a much better system but also very unfair on everyone else who would have to repeat the year with no grant.

• Advertisement

Anybody?

Surely somebody on this forum has been in this position......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭saltyporridge

Surely somebody on this forum has been in this position......

Some colleges send results directly to grant authorities so they know who to renew automatically. I would always email the grant body and get them to confirm, in writing, what you have to do to renew your grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭saltyporridge

jayo999 wrote: »
    Which college do you go to which allows that?

It's a much better system but also very unfair on everyone else who would have to repeat the year with no grant.

I suspect it might be UCD who have a very convoluted system for dealing with repeats

Some colleges send results directly to grant authorities so they know who to renew automatically. I would always email the grant body and get them to confirm, in writing, what you have to do to renew your grant.
    I see, thanks. I already got an email from them before the start of the academic year saying it was fine I was just a bit suspicious because last year they were a complete nightmare and I didn't receive my grant til around May the following year and didn't get my registration fee reimbursed until August!

Anyone know around which time the first instalment would be in? Obviously last year I just received the whole sum in one, very late instalment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement