Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead lipo

Options
  • 16-09-2012 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

I over discharged my Firefox 7.4v lipo. Charger won't recognise it now. It's just a basic charger and balancer. Any know if I can recover the battery somehow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

as far as im aware it cant be done with a lipo. i ran one down aswell and just binned it straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Ask someone who has a configurable charger (i.e. the charge rate can be set according to the maH value of the battery) that also outputs status messages if they'll have a go at trying to charge the battery.

For example, I have a Kong power charger and I've "resurrected" a few LiPos that other chargers couldn't; simply because I could set a very low trickle charge rate whilst also auto-balancing the individual packs. I've been handed a few that it simply couldn't either due to being knackered; but at least the charger told you "why".

Short answer: there is no reliable "yes"; the battery pack may just need a bit of balancing which your charger can't handle; or your battery may indeed be past the point of no return in the voltage stakes. If you can't find someone to hand with a more advanced charger, you don't have much option unfortunately.

Lemming wrote: »
    Ask someone who has a configurable charger (i.e. the charge rate can be set according to the maH value of the battery) that also outputs status messages if they'll have a go at trying to charge the battery.

For example, I have a Kong power charger and I've "resurrected" a few LiPos that other chargers couldn't; simply because I could set a very low trickle charge rate whilst also auto-balancing the individual packs. I've been handed a few that it simply couldn't either due to being knackered; but at least the charger told you "why".

Short answer: there is no reliable "yes"; the battery pack may just need a bit of balancing which your charger can't handle; or your battery may indeed be past the point of no return in the voltage stakes. If you can't find someone to hand with a more advanced charger, you don't have much option unfortunately.

Would you be willing to give it a go if I posted it to you with a few quid to post it back. I don't know anyone else with that kind of charger and don't want to get rid of it without knowing if it could be saved

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Hareton wrote: »
    Would you be willing to give it a go if I posted it to you with a few quid to post it back. I don't know anyone else with that kind of charger and don't want to get rid of it without knowing if it could be saved

for the price of posting a battery with "a few quid" to post it back, you would buy a new one here
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.rc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

As thermo has said Hareton, for the cost of a Lipo getting over to me and back (being in the UK and all), you'd be better off getting a new battery for the value of your money.

Sorry dude.

Edit. If you know anyone travelling to the UK for a TA-Events game next year, I will be there. So if you want to give the battery to them to see if it can be resurrected I'd be more than happy to have a go. But again that doesn't solve your immediate issue as you'll still be better off getting a new battery if you don't know anyone to hand with a configurable lipo charger.

Lemming wrote: »
    As thermo has said Hareton, for the cost of a Lipo getting over to me and back (being in the UK and all), you'd be better off getting a new battery for the value of your money.

Sorry dude.

Edit. If you know anyone travelling to the UK for a TA-Events game next year, I will be there. So if you want to give the battery to them to see if it can be resurrected I'd be more than happy to have a go. But again that doesn't solve your immediate issue as you'll still be better off getting a new battery if you don't know anyone to hand with a configurable lipo charger.

No hassle. Didn't realise you we're in the uk.

@ thermo. Just got a delivery of batteries form there. I can't find one anywhere else the same size as the one that's dead

@ thermo. Just got a delivery of batteries form there. I can't find one anywhere else the same size as the one that's dead

hobby king list the dimensions of the batteries on their site, it just a matter of sitting down and going through them.

thermo wrote: »

hobby king list the dimensions of the batteries on their site, it just a matter of sitting down and going through them.

I did and none were what I was looking for. The ones I have will work just a really tight fit.

what gun is it for and where is the battery placement?

• Advertisement

what gun is it for and where is the battery placement?

It's to go in the stock tube of a Madbull ace skeleton stock(short version). I have the wires on the batteries as short as possible and they still get a little pinched when the back of the stock is put on.

what are the dimensions of the dead battery.

<edit what voltage too>

what are the dimensions of the dead battery.

<edit what voltage too>

104x2012 and its a 7.4v 1100mAh

104x20x12 and its a 7.4v 1100mAh
    ??

hobby have 7.4v 20c 1300 Mah li-po's that are quite good but they 120 x 20 x 12 mm.
    you could just go into any of the retailers with your stock and see what fits :)

Advertisement