Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brother is being asked to pay back dole...from 2003!

Options
  • 15-09-2012 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭

so my brother just got a letter saying that he over-claimed two weeks in 2003 by not signing off straight away when he got his new job?
    surely there's a cut-off point for them collecting back-payments?
    his own banking records don't go back that far to prove if he did or didn't over-claim so how could he dispute this when he no longer has paperwork for it (and doesn't remember dates etc:it was 10 years ago after all!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

punchdrunk wrote: »
    surely there's a cut-off point for them collecting back-payments?

Nope!
    punchdrunk wrote: »
    his own banking records don't go back that far to prove if he did or didn't over-claim so how could he dispute this when he no longer has paperwork for it

They have a record showing the period for which he claimed, while employer's record shows when he started working.

I'm sure your brother will remember if he didn't sign off immediately. It's likely he should just hand over the money now.

Word of warning: I signed off before and got one of those letters immediately. However, I repaid them. A few years later they sent another letter requesting the payment. I phoned them and they said they had no record of my payment.. luckily I kept a copy of the original letter and cheque. So make sure your brother does the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This looks relevant:
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/pages/codm.aspx
    Cancelling the repayment of an overpayment

What if there is no prospect of recovering the debt?

The repayment of a debt may be cancelled where there is no realistic prospect of repaying the debt or where there is no reasonable prospect of recovering the debt within a reasonable timescale without incurring considerable administrative costs.

The following are some examples of cases of where this may apply

the person overpaid has died without estate,
    the Statute of Limitations applies i.e. person was not informed within 6 years of the discovery of the overpayment
    the cause of the overpayment was Departmental error and the amount was not significant.

Note: When part or all of the repayment of an overpayment is to be cancelled the option "write off part or all of the overpayment" should be selected on ODM.

Advertisement