Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you eat on a regular day?

Options
  • 15-09-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am trying to become a full-time vegan. However every time I attempt it I can only last about 2-3 weeks as I get bored of eating the same meals repeatedly.

So I a just wondering what everyone eats in a day? Like breakfast, Lunch dinner, snacks, any treats or drinks?

Pretty much everything you would eat or buy in your shopping.

Also whats the best brand of vegan Ice cream, mayo, cheese and chocolate (that tastes like milk not dark)

these would be my biggest issues!
    Or what would you throw together for a quick lunch, as I would sometimes find it so much easier to throw a pizza in the oven or some fish fingers. Especially with a tiny baby time is not something I have much of to spend on cooking/preparing food!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Was vegan for two years, still am mostly, but I was getting label-reading ennui so am a lot more lax than I once was. But anyway, it's pretty easy to keep things varied.

For breakfast I have porridge with stuff mixed in; banana, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, jam.

Lunch I have toast with hummus and olives and tomatoes or cucumber.

Dinner could be anything; curry (one of my inauthentic versions of aloo gobi, saag aloo, or korma), minestrone, pizza (you can replace cheese with hummus or refried beans quite effectively), soup (endless possibility there), bean burgers, some other kind of veggie burgers, falafel, burritos, stir-frys with noodles or rice... and so on.

Lidl is good for treats and stuff. Their bourbon biscuits are vegan. Their dark chocolate is the best. I'd recommend the one in the greeny black packet, Moser Roth, 60% cocoa solids. No dark chocolate tastes like milk chocolate though, that is the reality. There are some over-priced non-dairy versions of milk chocolate in health food shops but none of them ever did it for me.

Also, all vegan cheese is awful.

Just mix up your food shopping, get a few different kinds of beans, grains, veg, etc. There's loads of things you can eat. Loads!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I love the fake pepperjack vegan cheese, very nice, but I think the rest is crap, unless in a toasted sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I had to lose 3 stone as i was getting too heavy so i purchased a few packets of Erin soupfulls and i have to say they are lovely. So i have toast for breakfast and then at dinner time i have a bowl of Erin Harvest vegetable soup and that does me for the day so it works for me and i lost 2 stone already in the last few weeks, healthier than the junk i was munching before and you feel way better. There's a few different variates so you never get bored.

Some people will say it's not enough just eating 3 slices of toast and having only one bowl of soup a day but it's perfectly fine for me as i feel a hundred times better with just this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You may feel better at the moment but I doubt that will last, you really aren't getting everything you need at all in that diet, quite unhealthy for your body! It knows it, even if you can't feel it.

You may feel better at the moment but I doubt that will last, you really aren't getting everything you need at all in that diet, quite unhealthy for your body! It knows it, even if you can't feel it.

I see. well in that case i might work on adding something else to the meal in the daytime. Strange though as i do feel really well at this time compared to the way i felt weeks ago. I'll take your advice and add something extra to the meal.

When i feel great every day from what i normally have in a day i suppose you don't think of it, anyway i'll look for some good healthy stuff to add.

• Advertisement

You probably feel great as you cut out a lot of crap etc! But best to give your body a bit more varied fuel than some soup or you'll be lacking in vitamins and get the scurvy :p

You probably feel great as you cut out a lot of crap etc! But best to give your body a bit more varied fuel than some soup or you'll be lacking in vitamins and get the scurvy :p

:D he he, varied food it is so. You can sure get addicted to those Erin soupfulls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Not vegan but have tried some dairy free chocolate for various reasons. I think moo free is quite nice. Doesn't taste like proper milk chocolate but it's not completely dark either. Think it's made with rice milk. I got it in Evergreen in Galway so I'd say you'd get it any good healthfood shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

123Bean wrote: »
    I am trying to become a full-time vegan. However every time I attempt it I can only last about 2-3 weeks as I get bored of eating the same meals repeatedly.

So I a just wondering what everyone eats in a day? Like breakfast, Lunch dinner, snacks, any treats or drinks?

Pretty much everything you would eat or buy in your shopping.

Also whats the best brand of vegan Ice cream, mayo, cheese and chocolate (that tastes like milk not dark)

these would be my biggest issues!
    Or what would you throw together for a quick lunch, as I would sometimes find it so much easier to throw a pizza in the oven or some fish fingers. Especially with a tiny baby time is not something I have much of to spend on cooking/preparing food!

Thanks!

What would you normally have to eat in a day? We could come up with vegan versions of them for you.

Swedish Glace ice cream is good, and I use plamil mayo. Vegan cheese is a bit of an acquired taste, but I like the strong cheddar Sheese. Moo free, as already mentioned, make some tasty, very expensive chocolate.

I would normally have porridge for breakfast, with soy milk and usually something else added in - peanut butter, a banana, apple and cinnamon, raisins and cinnamon. Or toast with vegan spread and marmite.

For lunch, I often take leftovers from dinner the night before. Or make a pot of soup and then you'll have lunch for a few days - I made a big pot of roasted butternut squash and red lentil soup yesterday, got four big portions out of it, two in teh freezer and two in the fridge. I'll have some today with some homemade brown bread for lunch. You could have a salad - add in whatever you fancy - greens, tomato, olives, tofu (taifun do tasty flavoured tofus), avocado, croutons, cucumber, hummus, beetroot, beans, chickpeas....

For dinner, I'd have chilli, or pasta and sauce, or curry, or shepherd's pie, or some kind of fake meat/burger and chips, or roasted tofu and mashed potato, or a big plate of roasted veg and chickpeas....

Drinks: usually water and black coffee. Sometimes tea with soya milk, or squash.

Snacks: fruit, carrot sticks, hummus, crackers, pate, chocolate, nuts, dried fruit, crisps, popcorn...

Vitamins: I take a multivitamin most days (i.e. when I remember), a calcium supplement, and I've just ordered some vegan DHA capsules. The multivitamin is mostly to cover my B12, I'll probably just get a B12 supplement the next time. Calcium because I've tracked my intake a few times and am often a bit low on it. And DHA because it's supposed to be good for you :)

If you're looking for quick lunch and dinner ideas, what about a wrap for lunch - grab a wrap, plop a bit of hummus in, add some salad (greens, grated carrot, tomato, avocado), and yum. You can buy vegan nuggets and burgers and pies for those nights you just want to feck something into the oven. I also like to cook extra for freezing - so do a big pot of chilli, have some for dinner that night and freeze two portions - then you've two nights where all you have to do is cook some rice and heat up the chilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

zenno wrote: »
    I had to lose 3 stone as i was getting too heavy so i purchased a few packets of Erin soupfulls and i have to say they are lovely. So i have toast for breakfast and then at dinner time i have a bowl of Erin Harvest vegetable soup and that does me for the day so it works for me and i lost 2 stone already in the last few weeks, healthier than the junk i was munching before and you feel way better. There's a few different variates so you never get bored.

Some people will say it's not enough just eating 3 slices of toast and having only one bowl of soup a day but it's perfectly fine for me as i feel a hundred times better with just this.

Good god.... I thought this was a joke at first.

I eat 4 times a day

Porridge with fruit breakfast
    rice cakes hummus snack
    Toasted sambo with vegan cheese, veg lunch
    Curry dinner.

I drink 2 litres of water a day.

Excersise 6 times a week for a half an hour and I loose roughly 3lbs a week.

You need to change fast or you'll keel over. Your in big trouble soon..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 123Bean

Thanks everyone! Some great ideas in there...

I must try find somewhere that sells vegan ice cream and cheese now and give it a shot!

Advertisement