Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop problem

Options
  • 15-09-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Laptop turns on, power light comes on and fan spins for about 5 seconds and that's it ,no sounds nothing just doesn't boot, I'm guessing the motherboard is dead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Laptop turns on, power light comes on and fan spins for about 5 seconds and that's it ,no sounds nothing just doesn't boot, I'm guessing the motherboard is dead.

Motherboard wouldnt be dead if the Fan Starts Spining,

The Cooling System is after going would be my guess,

What type of laptop is it ? and what Processor is in it Duo Core or an i5, i3,i7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Most likely MB issue but try a few things anyway
    -unplug the computer
    -remove the battery
    -Hit the power button no less than 30 times.
    -Leave the battery out another two minutes or so
    -put the battery back
    -plug the computer in
    -power on
    Try that ^ there is a capacitor within the computer that can retain a static charge, resulting in no power to the motherboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Sometimes, if my laptop is left to completely deplete the battery, it will do that on a restart. I have to leave it plugged in until the battery reaches a certain recharge level, then it's good to go.
    It's an old laptop though. Might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Cork24 wrote: »
    Motherboard wouldnt be dead if the Fan Starts Spining,

The Cooling System is after going would be my guess,

What type of laptop is it ? and what Processor is in it Duo Core or an i5, i3,i7

It's a crap acer 7004 probably not worth fixing.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭thomlin

Had the same problem with an acer laptop its the processors fan has come off you might be able to get at it by removing the keyboard as i was with mine they are only glued down which will wear off over time.

I had mine for 5 years before this happened. Just reglue them and it should be ok but make sure you buy the proper glue that will stand the heat etc. :D

If you're not sure what to do then bring it to a pc shop for fixing but you'll be paying for labour as well :(

• Advertisement

Lol just tried it again now and it's fired back up.I tried the battery out and press power button thing but didn't work.so i just left the power button light on and closed the lid and just opened it this minute and it's fired up.Could the hibernate mode be messing it up?

Its possible that its that simple especially if you are running windows 7 on an older laptop just disable it and any power schemes on the laptop and see how it goes.

Personally I think the power schemes and hibernation mode are a pain in the neck and just slow a pc down over time. It wouldn't hurt to defrag the harddrive(s) occasionally as well. :)

It's just gone again i disabled all power options so couldn't go into sleep mode etc and have it plugged into ac and was running some scans then all of a sudden black screen then this 2012-09-16-028.jpg

Its defo processor issue similar problem with Sony Vaio's get a similar screen has to be re-soldered I think it is with the Vaio.

The Acers is just the epoxy has worn on the processor fan and needs to be reapplied.

The processor is overheating causing all the grief you're having and the screen you just got is confirmation of it sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

It is something you could fix yourself but if you don't feel confident enough then bring it to a computer shop to get repaired just be careful they don't try to rip you off or sell you an extended warranty crap.

HTH :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

thomlin wrote: »
    Its defo processor issue similar problem with Sony Vaio's get a similar screen has to be re-soldered I think it is with the Vaio.

The Acers is just the epoxy has worn on the processor fan and needs to be reapplied.

The processor is overheating causing all the grief you're having and the screen you just got is confirmation of it sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

It is something you could fix yourself but if you don't feel confident enough then bring it to a computer shop to get repaired just be careful they don't try to rip you off or sell you an extended warranty crap.

HTH :(

After a while the Laptop Heating System can start to go, in turn the Processor heats above normal, and the soldered starts to melt and run over the motherboard,

What this guy needs to do is, buy Thermal Compound, take the Cooling System off the Processor use Nail Varnish remover to clean the Old Compound off the Processor, Turn the laptop and see the other side of the Motherboard and see if the Solder is after running, put a small amount of Compound onto the Processor and use a Credit Card to even out the layer of Thermal Compound, place heating system back on the processor.

if this is a Windows 7 Laptop you should get a Blue Screen of death if in fact its a processor problem. other then that you get no warning of a Cooling Failure

• Advertisement

I have taken the battery out since this screen this morning and have left it turned on, just on ac and it hasn't switched off once,maybe something to do with the battery?This morning i had battery and ac on so maybe over charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

overcharging wont screw up the screen, any laptop should work without a battery, my laptop stopped working,overheating,
    the fan outlet was on the bottom ,underneath the case ,and i was blocking it,
    I realised too late.
    try plugging into vga monitor, i agree with post above, cpu is likely overheating,
    it knocks itself off as programmed once it reaches hi temp after a few seconds.
    just be, careful ,put screws in a cup, its easy to lose a laptop, screw as they are tiny.
    look on youtube videos your model laptop fix .

Advertisement