Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole & New Business in UK

Options
  • 15-09-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker and I can't find a thread like mine so looking for some advice.

I am on the dole here the last 4 months after having been let go from my previous job and finding it hard going to interviews / agencies and not hearing back etc....

Anyway, I have an idea for a business which I DO have experience in and I DO think I can make a go of it.... just NOT in Ireland :( So I am thinking of going to the UK and setting it up there (Just larger population/customer base there)

As I am on the dole, I would have to inform them I want to go to the UK to start a business. Obviously this may not work out or it may - i want to try anyway.

I see that I can get my dole transferred to the UK for up to 3 months so I am thinking i might do this. But I will be registering as a business (sole trader) in the UK once I get there, so will my dole be cut off straight away? I know there are grants for starting a business but these are for Ireland only from what I can make out and I won't qualify for these until next year when my stamps run out and im assessed.

I want to thread carefully because I don't want to break the law. Also people have suggested to me to just fly back in every week and collect my dole and they wouldnt know i have a business in the UK. I think Revenue are not stupid and this would be found out fairly quickly and land me in huge trouble which would follow me for the rest of my life.

Anyone have any advice? What would you do? Can I claim the dole for 3 months in the UK and start a business right away? I tried to get some information from the social welfare office but all I get is snide/rude comments which are of no help.

Thank you very much for reading this (my long essay :) )

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If you want to have your JSB transferred, you would need to be actively seeking work in the UK to meet the conditions.
    If you intend to start a business in the UK, you should seek what welfare supports that the UK has for those unemployed who wish to pursue an enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Betta85

snubbleste wrote: »
    If you want to have your JSB transferred, you would need to be actively seeking work in the UK to meet the conditions.
    If you intend to start a business in the UK, you should seek what welfare supports that the UK has for those unemployed who wish to pursue an enterprise.

Thanks for the reply. Ok, so I can't transfer my JSB over as I am not seeking work? (I don't think starting a business would count for that)

So If say I fly over to the UK, go to the welfare office and tell them I want to set up a business would they entertain me considering I have no tax number for the UK and haven't been living their? Or is it a case I just apply for their PPS number and then go speak about starting a business?

When would i let the Irish dole know? Would it be ok to still claim my dole until my UK PPS number comes through? I read somewhere it can take a few weeks.

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You will need to sign off the dole when you no longer can comply with the rules for same

You must be available for work and actively looking for work to qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit.

Ok Thanks. I guess ill just have to stay on the dole until next year and then apply for the starting a business grant and open up here.

Thanks for the advice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have you considered the Short-Term Enterprise Allowance?
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/BackToWork/Pages/STEA.aspx

• Advertisement

Hi, no I hadn't considered that actually thank you very much i will have a look into it now... that sounds much better than waiting around until next year for the other one :) Thanks a million for that :D

Advertisement