Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invalid Product Key (Microsoft Office)

Options
  • 15-09-2012 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I bought a brand new Asus Laptop from Harvey Norman Last year (Nov/Dec) and have had no need to use MS Office, any Excel sheets etc, I did have to work with, I was getting by with MS Office starter just fine.

Now though, my perma-office that had a desktop with all those programmes installed, has been moved up to the border, and I asm working with my laptop as a result.

Lately, I have been creating Excel sheets with Ms Office starter (which can be clumsy and slow compared to the real deal), but it dawned on me that I at least should have had Office 2010 already preinstalled on the machine.

When I click on Office, it gives me a few choices refrence a product key etc, now, I have found the 25 digit key (on a sticker underneath laptop) but I have checked and re-checked the key, but I still get an invalid product key message on my screen!

Anybody any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Ghandee wrote: »
    Hi all.

I bought a brand new Asus Laptop from Harvey Norman Last year (Nov/Dec) and have had no need to use MS Office, any Excel sheets etc, I did have to work with, I was getting by with MS Office starter just fine.

Now though, my perma-office that had a desktop with all those programmes installed, has been moved up to the border, and I asm working with my laptop as a result.

Lately, I have been creating Excel sheets with Ms Office starter (which can be clumsy and slow compared to the real deal), but it dawned on me that I at least should have had Office 2010 already preinstalled on the machine.

When I click on Office, it gives me a few choices refrence a product key etc, now, I have found the 25 digit key (on a sticker underneath laptop) but I have checked and re-checked the key, but I still get an invalid product key message on my screen!

Anybody any ideas?

Windows and Office, two seperate licenses ;) . You would need to buy Office or use something else like LibreOffice, usually machines come with an office trial which is possibly what you have found

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

yoyo wrote: »
    Windows and Office, two seperate licenses ;) . You would need to buy Office or use something else like LibreOffice, usually machines come with an office trial which is possibly what you have found

Nick

Thanks Nick.

So basically the product key stuck to the machine is for Windows?

Kinda misleading, I'd swear I told the sales guy at the time of buying I'd need office as I would occassionally be using the machine for work.

Caught again :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Ghandee wrote: »
    Thanks Nick.

So basically the product key stuck to the machine is for Windows?

Kinda misleading, I'd swear I told the sales guy at the time of buying I'd need office as I would occassionally be using the machine for work.

Caught again :mad:

Yep the license on the laptop is Windows only, Office licenses are issued seperately. Technically the machine came with Office Starter, so the sales guy was correct. You could use LibreOffice which is a powerful free Office clone

Nick

Advertisement