Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Restaurant

Options
  • 14-09-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

So I know there are probably plenty threads about this already but I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good restaurant for a Graduation meal? I've been in Galway for four years now but unfortunately my student budget has usually limited me to the odd Charcol!!

Any suggestions welcome, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

sunrise91 wrote: »
    So I know there are probably plenty threads about this already but I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good restaurant for a Graduation meal? I've been in Galway for four years now but unfortunately my student budget has usually limited me to the odd Charcol!!

you probably goin with your oul pair so summit for every one I would recommend Carlton hotel in renmore gorgeous food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

sunrise91 wrote: »

Well it would depend on what type of food/budget? Any of the restaurants on dominick street (the street between the roisin and the garda station) are very good, rouge (very good value here, really nice steak), creole, aniar, cava, all very good. If you would like asian food, Asian tea house on Mary street is really nice and I hear the Tamirind restaurant on the "sparch" is good, haven't been in years. Upstairs in Mc Swiggans is also very good, especially for a larger crowd and not too expensive. Kirwan's lane is popular for graduation dinners but it is expensive enough. The only decent Italian restaurant that comes to mind is Trattoria on Quay street which is good and again not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

If you want to push the boat out try Kirwins Lane or maybe the House Hotel. Both very good and very central.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

The Huntsman, across the road from the G Hotel. Great food, lovely atmosphere, ideal for a family meal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kai

/thread.

It's the best restaurant in town. After that Oscars is great. If you fancy going a little bit outside town The White Gables in Moycullen is lovely as is O'Grady's in Barna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

be careful of Kai - read the menu first, it's quite quirky and some people may not like what they have to offer.
    Also, Oscar's - it seems to be completely seafood now - I read the menu on the window on Saturday and it was all seafood - I stand to be corrected here now, but the blackboard outside said Oscar's Seafood Bistro, so if you are thinking there, make sure what the menu is beforehand.

As long as I've lived in Galway, Oscars has been a seafood restaurant...

They have a steak and a veggie option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,016 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

be careful of Kai - read the menu first, it's quite quirky and some people may not like what they have to offer.
    Also, Oscar's - it seems to be completely seafood now - I read the menu on the window on Saturday and it was all seafood - I stand to be corrected here now, but the blackboard outside said Oscar's Seafood Bistro, so if you are thinking there, make sure what the menu is beforehand.
    If i saw a sign for a seafood restaurant then id expect seafood, dont really get your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Someone recommended aniar. Food is nice but servings are small for some of the main courses. We had monk fish and lamb. The fish serving was ok but the two bits of lamb were not much bigger than two slices of black pudding. You'll be hungry leaving the place

Probably a bit too dear for a graduation I'd say anyhow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

mc swiggans do a lovely dinner :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Went to Rouge for the first time recently and it won't be the last. Had the best restaurant experience I've had many years (and yes, I've been to Kai). You couldn't beat the atmosphere, quality of food, and value. But you must books a few weeks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I had dinner after my graduation in The House Hotel - it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Foxychick

Seaneh wrote: »

The menu has def changed alot, used to be more non fish options loved it but did change menu around March. Very dissapointed.

McSwiggins very nice caters for all taste's. Da Roberta's in Salthill nice for Italian food. Vina Mara another option. If you want a unique taste but a bit more expensive Anair.

Foxychick wrote: »
    The menu has def changed alot, used to be more non fish options loved it but did change menu around March. Very dissapointed.

Well for the last few weeks (since the seaso started really) they have been selling portions of locally caught Blue Fin Tuna (the otoro cut at that, which can sell for €1000+ per kg in Japan) for €23.50-€24.50a plate so for my money Oscars is, right now, the best value restaurant in Galway.

Seared Otoro is insanely delicious, the most amazing texture and flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Seaneh wrote: »

you haven't lived in Galway a long time then. People who have lived in Galway will tell you that going into Oscars you had a choice of what style of cooking your wanted - they had things for every taste - steaks, chicken, duck, burgers, seafood, pastas, etc.

Galway did not begin when people came to the town to go to college :p

you must be a very recent blow in to Galway.

Advertisement