Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing arcade cabinet for work - recommendations?

Options
  • 14-09-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    So I'm prob gonna have to source an arcade cabinet for my works games room. Not so many people work in this place so it won't get over used.

What I'm looking for;
    • 2 player cab
    • 6 buttons per player
    • 28~inch screen
    • either standup or sitdown is fine

Prob also need a multi-game cart/system, JAMMA or JVS I don't mind.

While I could get an old cab and do it up I don't want to be Mr.Support for this thing. I don't mind some TLC/cleaning/new buttons, I really don't want to have to get a new monitor and have to paint it up.
    Since this is a cab for work, the cost isn't a major problem and nor is the shipping. Just needs to have good support/come-back should the monitor be fecked.

Suggestions of such a cab and maybe a source would be great folks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    While I could get an old cab and do it up I don't want to be Mr.Support for this thing

Very, very wise. Kids...take note! By the by where do you work and are they hiring? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

contact Mitchomagic on this forum, he should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

EnterNow wrote: »
    Very, very wise. Kids...take note! By the by where do you work and are they hiring? :D

No comment on the location :) and unfortunately out department isn't hiring

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

My thoughts exactly.

Kerb - you can't go wrong with an E3, NAC or AWSD. As for sourcing one I only know the usual places - Mitch, Ronnie, AO, Jamma+, Scarlet Pimpernel (aka Jeff) etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

No comment on the location :) and unfortunately out department isn't hiring

Seriously though a games room in work? Nice! Bye bye productivity, see ya later efficiency, all the best mr. initiative :D

• Advertisement

Seriously though a games room in work? Nice! Bye bye productivity, see ya later efficiency, all the best mr. initiative :D

You would be amazed how little the other games rooms get used even though they are packed with PS3s, Xbox360s etc.

I've messaged Mitchomagic - will wait to see if he responds. Failing that I will start hitting the other mentioned forums.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't you have the other Naomi cab?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Don't you have the other Naomi cab?

I do, but involves fixing the CRT. Think I'd rather get a JAMMA cab from the start as there is a load of plug'n'play multi carts/boards out there that would just work unlike a MAME setup

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

pm sent

After speaking to Mitchomagic and then thinking about it more, I decided not to go the Silverline 26 cab which he was going to refurbish. Ended up buying a Sega Candy Cab Sammy Atomiswave SD which I believe is a rebranded Taito Egret 3. Gonna have to get myself a new control panel (any tips would be great) for two players. Unsure if I need to bother with 6 buttons each, maybe just 4?

What multi cart is the next question - I've read good reviews about the Pandora multi card/board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

After speaking to Mitchomagic and then thinking about it more, I decided not to go the Silverline 26 cab which he was going to refurbish. Ended up buying a Sega Candy Cab Sammy Atomiswave SD which I believe is a rebranded Taito Egret 3. Gonna have to get myself a new control panel (any tips would be great) for two players. Unsure if I need to bother with 6 buttons each, maybe just 4?

What multi cart is the next question - I've read good reviews about the Pandora multi card/board.

Where did you get the Atomiswave in the end kerb?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not sure if you've seen these before but I found them handy:

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/1/17/E3parts.pdf (pretty much identical to AWSD)

AWSD connector info

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Not sure if you've seen these before but I found them handy:

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/1/17/E3parts.pdf (pretty much identical to AWSD)

AWSD connector info

Thanks for that Andrew76
    Where did you get the Atomiswave in the end kerb?

eBay in the end, saw a cab that needed a little work and according to the seller the screen is in great condition. I'm going to be getting my hands dirtier than I planned but if this is what it takes to have a class cab in work so be it!
    Now to look about maybe a 2 player control panel and games to go in it.

Think that might have been one of Jeff's cabs. He has a couple of AWSDs. Hope to get one of them myself!

Let me know how you get on with a 2p panel.
    Seem to be absolute bastids to track down.

Think that might have been one of Jeff's cabs. He has a couple of AWSDs. Hope to get one of them myself!

It was indeed one of Jeff's cabs :)
    Let me know how you get on with a 2p panel.
    Seem to be absolute bastids to track down.

Indeed they seem to be, I have Naomi panels which from what I've seen kinda look like they would fit but might look like bum.

Think most Sega panels fit allbeit with a gap around the edges

It was indeed one of Jeff's cabs :)

Might even have been looking at that exact cab myself but was dawdling on payment waiting to clear my credit card!
    Ah well!

Just had the cab delivered to work this morning :)

222701.jpg

Needs a little cleaning up but looks great...and for those of you who attend CiDeRmAn's game nights, that is indeed his Neo Geo setup he lent me to test it all

222700.jpg

Need to look out for a Egret2or3 2player control panel now :)

Now to decide on what type of game internals to get.
    • Neo Geo with multi-cart
    • PC with HyperSpin setup
    • JAMMA Multi Cart like the Pandora
    • Another suggestion?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jammy git....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Jammy git....

Yup!

I was eyeballing that cab off Jeff myself but didn't get my act together in time. :(

Ah well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Does Jeff post these cabs over on AO or on his eBay page?
    I need to get a candy for my brother for December/January and the deal I've been trying to do over in Japan seems to be never happening because of the weird seller so I need to source one a bit closer to home, and not from Ronnie.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Does Jeff post these cabs over on AO or on his eBay page?
    I need to get a candy for my brother for December/January and the deal I've been trying to do over in Japan seems to be never happening because of the weird seller so I need to source one a bit closer to home, and not from Ronnie.

Seems you will end up paying more from Jeff than Ronnie but from the great condition of the screen, cabs from Jeff are exactly as described.
    Got this via eBay. Ronnie had a cheaper Egret (I think it was Egret, he never followed up with the pictures he said he would) but there yea go. I needed it fast before the games room budget got used up for other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Seems you will end up paying more from Jeff than Ronnie but from the great condition of the screen, cabs from Jeff are exactly as described.
    Got this via eBay. Ronnie had a cheaper Egret (I think it was Egret, he never followed up with the pictures he said he would) but there yea go. I needed it fast before the games room budget got used up for other things.

I'd rather deal with someone new and pay a bit more than deal with Ronnie again after the crappy service he gave me.
    I'll be looking for an Egret 2, 3 or AWSD for the bro as I'll be supporting it so it'll be easier if its close to my own candy in design and maintenance.

Jeff sticks an odd cab up on eBay but as far as I know most of the time he has people earmarked for the cabs before they actually make it as far as the net. Your best bet is to mail him however contacting him is a pain. It takes him days to reply, if at all. To be fair he seems a genuine sort of guy but he's an extremely busy one man show.
    No response doesn't mean he's forgotten about you but it can be very frustrating!

I enquired not so long ago about his stock. No egrets as far as I know but he had some blasts and Astros maybe and Defo some atomiswaves.

Hope this helps.

And stay back.. I'm ahead of you in the queue for an Atomiswave! Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭ondafly

Just had the cab delivered to work this morning :)

222701.jpg

something I learned recently - as I was getting a rolling picture on my MVS with Atomiswave. Might become an issue if you put in some standard jamma stuff !

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14

ondafly wrote: »
    something I learned recently - as I was getting a rolling picture on my MVS with Atomiswave. Might become an issue if you put in some standard jamma stuff !

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14

Ah good stuff. When I plugged in the MVS board I needed to adjust the pots but maybe I will unplug that connector and see if I would need to adjust or is it when you use dedicated JAMMA boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭ondafly

Ah good stuff. When I plugged in the MVS board I needed to adjust the pots but maybe I will unplug that connector and see if I would need to adjust or is it when you use dedicated JAMMA boards?

unplugged = dedicated jamma
    plugged = mvs and I think CPS2

You could test this, by powering off now, unplug the cable, and power on again, and you'll probably have a rolling picture.

The hunt to find a 2P12B control panel starts! The joy...wonder how a Naomi control panel looks on a Egret style cab?

Ummm - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130775479154 - folks making them to order, whats the worst that could happen? :)

The hunt to find a 2P12B control panel starts! The joy...wonder how a Naomi control panel looks on a Egret style cab?

Ummm - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130775479154 - folks making them to order, whats the worst that could happen? :)

Keep us in the loop with that man.

I contacted that guy on eBay about the control panel a while back. General enquiry so the ground work has been laid there for you.
    Think his prices are 70 quid excluding shipping. Based in Italy. He doesn't supply the overlay so you'll have to get that from somewhere else.

I'm not 100% sure but I think his method for mounting the joystick plates and screws is a tad iffy. Countersunk screws through the panel itself. Could lead to an uneven surface on the top if the panel which could affect the appearance of the overlay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I have a spare 2P 6B CP for ma Naomi if your interested

Advertisement