Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand windows copy

Options
  • 14-09-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    If I buy a copy of Windows 7 from Adverts.ie and it has been previously used and activated......am I entitled to activate it again when I install it.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Walker34 wrote: »
    Hi,
    If I buy a copy of Windows 7 from Adverts.ie and it has been previously used and activated......am I entitled to activate it again when I install it.

No. Software licenses are usually non-transferable. Technically a Retail version will allow you to activate on a new machine, provided the old one is not activated. But OEM/Upgrade ones you can forget it.
    Bottom line as it has been activated it is the sellers property which is only licensed for their use

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

So....if I upgrade my PC and put an SSD in it, when I reinstall the OS what is the procedure.....do I just re activate it.?

Walker34 wrote: »
    So....if I upgrade my PC and put an SSD in it, when I reinstall the OS what is the procedure.....do I just re activate it.?

When asked to, yes. If you use something like Clonezilla to clone the current HDD data onto the new HDD it shouldn't trigger re-activation (if feasible)

Nick

cheers mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

There's no issue buying a second hand retail copy.
    Confirm with the seller its not installed on any pc now.
    Make sure you get a valid disc and coa.
    You may need to activate over the phone and MS will ask you these things

• Advertisement

What if the seller has activated the copy previously......then its of no use to me....right? Is there any quick way of verifying online, if a serial is activated or not.?

Doesn't matter if it's been activated if it's a retail copy

subway wrote: »

Are Windows licenses not non-transferable?

Nick

Depends on the license, retail licences are generally fine, as long as the rules above are followed.
    I'm only commenting on Microsoft now, other vendors have different rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

It certainly does matter.

If it has been activated on another computer, you will have to reactivate via phone and let an MS rep know that the previous installation is no longer in use. If that's not true, the activation on both machines will be revoked upon the next WGA check and the license is is no longer valid.

• Advertisement

Thats not the context i made that statment in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Thats not the context i made that statment in...

Yep, in general retail licenses are transferable but there's always a risk.

Are you 100% sure about that...

On a slightly different line............when I install a copy of windows 7, I use the supplied serial number to initiate the install process. After a successful install when I go to Control panel\System, the number assigned to the pc is not the install key, its the activation key I think. Is there any way of retrospectively determining the serial used for the install from the activation key.

The reason I ask is that I have a number of copies of Windows 7 and a few pc`s as well, and I am not sure which copy is on which PC. I am concerned that I may have installed a single copy on 2 pc`s. When a pc`c C:\ drive gets messed up its important to install a copy of windows which is not already installed on another unit.I used make ghost images for each machine and restore them when\if needed.....think Ill go back to that system.

Advertisement