Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork - historical photos & missing heritage

Options
  • 14-09-2012 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭

Here are a few old glass slides – I stuck them to the window and photographed them, a hurried job, intend to do it again, more carefully next time.. The tape holding them together is almost gone and some have cracked glass. I’m not overly familiar with Cork, so I might have reversed some images and have not tried to identify those I do not know.

Father Temperance / Mathew
    7985474252_09083ae282_z.jpg
    Fr. Matthew by Pedro Eibar, on Flickr
    The carriage in the foreground below looks ‘private’ as the driver has white trousers, surely not practical for a cabman? The building at the end of the street is the ‘Hosiery Drapery & Outfitting Depot’
    7985474914_b6e2bc17d6_z.jpg
    DSC_0430 by Pedro Eibar, on Flickr

This needs to be reversed
    7985465713_7ece66fce1_z.jpg
    DSC_0429 by Pedro Eibar, on Flickr
    Needs reversal also , I wonder if the WL is William Lawrence?
    7985466043_0b9a3a196b_z.jpg
    DSC_0428 by Pedro Eibar, on Flickr

I like the portico entrance with steps – on the right
    7985464137_1ecd30fb91_z.jpg
    DSC_0425 by Pedro Eibar, on Flickr

Is the large building between Shandon / pro-cathedral the North Infirmary? 7985463335_ff9cd66a1d_z.jpg
    Blackpool by Pedro Eibar, on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

What a beautiful place it was! Thankfully, much of it remains, but we seem to have lost more than necessary to so-called 'urban improvements'.

BTW, the book company is called Irish books direct, based in Naas, and they have been very helpful to me recently.

Give 'em a call for anything Irish in book form, and no doubt any other form, too.

Best

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Good thread.

MOD EDIT>>> I don't like to be overly parochial but would rather keep this thread here and leave it open to other Cork heritage buffs to expand on<<< JB1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

If you are into this stuff,
    There is a new "photo" book out called Pure Cork by Michael Lenihan which is full of this stuff, very well recommend, not much text thou
    As well as photos it is also full of postcards, maps, menus and tickets and stuff like that

info at link

http://corkindependent.com/stories/item/5891/2011-46/Pure-Cork

book cover
    pure_cork.jpg

A stereo image of Cork city, with Montenotte in the background, by John England in 1859, featuring in 'Pure Cork' by Michael Lenihan.
    Mercier Press/Michael Lenihan

p_Montenottepic_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I like the portico entrance with steps – on the right
    7985464137_1ecd30fb91_z.jpg

Here are some close up images of it. Its on Bachelor's Quay and I'm 95% sure it was demolished about 1966, I read that somewhere before. This building also caught my eye while examining amongst older photographs of the city.

bachelors_quay_2.jpg

bachelors_quay_3.jpg

bachelors_quay_4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Thanks Telekon,
    The name allowed me to do a bit of research and I found several other images & info on the Cork library past and present site. http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/mapsimages/corkphotographs/corkcameraclubhistoricalphotos/bachelorsquay/
    Bachelors Quay had some marvellous houses – homes of wealthy merchants before they moved to the suburbs and their old homes became tenements; that doubtlessly led to the downward spiral to ruination. At the end of that terrace stood ‘The Queen Anne house’, known as the Doll's House, (from Cork Library site) ‘demolished in July 1966. The last owners of the house, which was by then in a state of disrepair, had offered the house to the Irish Georgian Society and Cork Corporation for the nominal rent of one shilling per year. Both bodies refused the offer as the cost of restoring the house was estimated at £30,000, an enormous sum of money in those days. Cork thus lost one of its most distinctive houses. After the demolition of the house and an adjoining property, Bachelor's Quay was widened.’
    Will have to do more research on the ‘portico house’ when I get some time. Comparing ’my’ slide of Fr Mathew and that on the Corkpastandpresent site, it appears that he was ‘elevated’ at some time between the dates of the two photos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

The second one down is the Grand Parade. Next two are Patrick's Quay, Patrick's St. The building between Shandon and the North Cathedral is the Cathedral Presbytery. Similar pic here http://www.corkcathedral.ie/.

edit: sorry, Patrick's Bridge rather than Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

There's an interesting talk on Culture Night in Cobh Museum that's right up your street, Michael Linehan, the author of your book is giving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

There's an interesting talk on Culture Night in Cobh Museum that's right up your street, Michael Linehan, the author of your book is giving it.

Pity I'm in Ontario, I would have liked to have been there for that one...:(

tac, having an early breakfast...

Advertisement