Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lion - "Your mac osx startup disk has no more space available...

Options
  • 14-09-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

...for application memory"

Guys,

The attached error has started appearing on my iMac in the last three days. Usually resulting in a restart being required. There's 300+GB left free on the drive.

Have lion installed a good month or so now & this is the first time it's started happening.

Any ideas what's going wrong ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

A problem with Google Chrome filling up the drive with temporary files. Maybe a plugin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

No, don't think it's that. Happens when chrome is not open also.

Thanks for the input though

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

OU812 wrote: »
    No, don't think it's that. Happens when chrome is not open also.

Thanks for the input though

Check in app activity monitor. (in HD/Utilities) u might find some process is taking more memory than planned . See also https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2725318?start=75&tstart=0

Found apple article about it too http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1342

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

This message means that the machine is running out of swap space, which is something that applications use when they need to use more memory than there is physical memory available. A reboot will clear it up but if its happening frequently its likely that one of your applications is buggy and has a memory leak.

Keep Activity Monitor open and sort the columns by Rel Mem with the highest value at the top. When the problem happens again, the application or process at the top of the list is your culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Funny, the same thing has started happening me in the last few days too. It sorts out with a reboot and as I'm planning an upgrade in a month or so I'm not that bothered about it. It seems to happen when I leave the Mac idle for several hours with lots of apps open. I just put it down to an aging machine, but the latest update of ML might have had an impact.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I found Zovo (online backup) was using 500+MBs of memory so I closed it & the problem hasn't happened again. I'm guessing it's not compatible, so now I gotta find a new online backup

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

OU812 wrote: »
    I found Zovo (online backup) was using 500+MBs of memory so I closed it & the problem hasn't happened again. I'm guessing it's not compatible, so now I gotta find a new online backup

Glad u isolated it to the culprit .
    Find out if that app has an uninstaller or do u have to remove all the files manually . Some of them launch at startup without u noticing .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Glad u isolated it to the culprit .
    Find out if that app has an uninstaller or do u have to remove all the files manually . Some of them launch at startup without u noticing .
    AppCleaner is a nice utility which can help root out some hidden files of installed applications.
    And it's free :)
    http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

Advertisement