Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAC Pass

Options
  • 14-09-2012 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭

Some programs I frequently use (e.g. the ever so popular Ccleaner) require elevated rights, thus the UAC "annoyance" will be triggered each the program is started, here's how to bypass it: open UAC Pass, drag the shortcut of the program you wish to bypass UAC into the program window, choose the location where you want the new shortcut, e.g. on the desktop, in the startmenu or taskbar and click OK, that's all there is to it (you may delete the old shortcut).

UAC Pass works with Vista and 7, x86 & x64, no installation required.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Torqay wrote: »
    Some programs I frequently use (e.g. the ever so popular Ccleaner) require elevated rights, thus the UAC "annoyance" will be triggered each the program is started, here's how to bypass it: open UAC Pass, drag the shortcut of the program you wish to bypass UAC into the program window, choose the location where you want the new shortcut, e.g. on the desktop, in the startmenu or taskbar and click OK, that's all there is to it (you may delete the old shortcut).

UAC Pass works with Vista and 7, x86 & x64, no installation required.

Any idea how it works? I'm not averse to the idea, but I'm somewhat concerned about the implications, especially the potential for abusing the underlying principle for malicious reasons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Fysh wrote: »
    Any idea how it works?

I'm pretty sure, UAC Pass is making use of the old scheduled-tasks trick:

Create Administrator Mode Shortcuts Without UAC Prompts in Windows 7 or Vista

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Fysh wrote: »
    I'm not averse to the idea, but I'm somewhat concerned about the implications, especially the potential for abusing the underlying principle for malicious reasons...

There is a warning on the UAC Pass website to this respect and I'll gladly quote it here:

%2116x16.pngThis tool needs you to think twice in order not to become the weak point of your security via the links it creates.%2116x16.png
    UAC-free shortcuts will allow the linked program to execute with the highest elevation. The better is to avoid programs which connect to internet services that you don't trust.

UAC Pass is usefull with older programs, thoses requiring XP mode or small utilities like Ccleaner, CPU-Z or FRAPS, or programs like cmd and regedit system tools... In other words, use it with trusted programs requiring systematic elevation.

Advertisement