Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist or Agnostic Atheist

Options
  • 14-09-2012 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Which makes more sense ?

Why ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Whats an agnostic atheist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Whats an agnostic atheist?
    Someone who doesnt believe in god but hopes theyre wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Northclare wrote: »
    Which makes more sense ?

Why ?

Everyone is an agnostic.

The term is redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

327cx3f

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Advertisement

My own POV is that atheism is slightly too dogmatic for my personality. I describe myself as agnostic. I don't believe we CAN know.

I've never heard of agnostic atheist before - I would have imagined the terms were mutually exclusive.

What is the OP'S opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Agnostic atheist" is really just a subset (probably 99%) of "Atheist"

An agnostic atheist is someone who has no belief in any gods but does not claim to know for certain that there is no God.

An agnostic theist is someone who believes in one or more gods but does not claim to know for certain that this god(s) exists.

Gnostic theists and atheists, claim to know for certain that there is/isn't a god(s).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ugh

seamus wrote: »
    "Agnostic atheist" is really just a subset (probably 99%) of "Atheist"

An agnostic atheist is someone who has no belief in any gods but does not claim to know for certain that there is no God.

An agnostic theist is someone who believes in one or more gods but does not claim to know for certain that this god(s) exists.

Gnostic theists and atheists, claim to know for certain that there is/isn't a god(s).

One minor question.
    Are you an agnostic if you claim to know for certain or are you an agnostic if you actually know for certain?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Neither term makes that much sense to me, especially given the number... and you can likely add this one to the list soon enough.... of threads that get derailed into debates about which term is correct, whether the current usage of agnostic is correct or Huxleys, the differences between "strong" and "weak" atheism, the Dawkins belief scale and much more.

For me I simply do not identify with any of the terms. I am just someone who rejects and, where necessary, resists entirely unsubstantiated claims. As the idea there is a god is entirely devoid of any arguments, evidence, data or reasons to lend it even a modicum of credence it is therefore among the claims I reject and where necessary resist. It is simply a totally unsubstantiated claim. No more. No less.

If that means other people want to label me "Atheist" or I find common cause with people who label themselves "Atheist" then so be it. It is not a term I identify myself by.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »

I did not know that.

Today, I rebranded :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gbear wrote: »
    One minor question.
    Are you an agnostic if you claim to know for certain or are you an agnostic if you actually know for certain?
    Since self-identification is really the key, then I would say the former.

Otherwise you're trying to label someone objectively and you're really getting into philosophical and metaphysical discussions about whether anyone can actually be objectively certain about anything, and thus everyone is agnostic about everything (not just about god(s))

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'm a lapsed agnostic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

327cx3f

It's important for the newbies ;)

Jernal wrote: »

Maybe abridge that slightly (shorten the list of body parts perhaps :p) and sticky that with a title in giant bold letters: WHAT ATHEISM IS - READ BEFORE POSTING

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

agnostic-diagram11.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Northclare wrote: »
    Atheist or Agnostic Atheist

Which makes more sense ?

Why ?
    Agnostic atheist because you cannot "know" something invisible, intangible does not exist.

Tempted now the question has been answered several times to close this thread now before the trolls get here...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭decimatio

Atheism is the rejection of a proposition.

It says nothing about claiming any knowledge of god or gods, it just means rejection of the proposition of any gods existence.

Adding agnostic and gnostic to it is a completely different kettle of fish.

Neither does my title of Atheist say whether its knowable or not. The term Atheist itself just means that non-acceptance.

Most atheists will go further, and I do, but the term atheist itself has a very simple meaning that is in no way dogmatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

That's enough it clarifies it for me now thanks.

I just don't understand why some people get so arrogant or emotional about it all.

It's a waste of energy really getting wound up,as of from today I'm turning a new leaf and moving on.

I have learned a lot from engaging with ye all.

Thank for the laughs and banter etc

Advertisement