Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smear test and pregnancy

Options
  • 14-09-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi all

Just received my smear test reminder letter this morning - but I'm due to give birth in 2 weeks.

Am I right in assuming that I should wait till after my 6 week check till I have my smear?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Fran79 wrote: »
    Hi all

Just received my smear test reminder letter this morning - but I'm due to give birth in 2 weeks.

Am I right in assuming that I should wait till after my 6 week check till I have my smear?
    I don't know how it works in Ireland, but I was able to get my smear test during my 6 week check-up (great, killed two uncomfortable birds with one stone).

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

It depends on your gp. Lots of doctors do it at 6 week check. But others wait a few months until things have 'settled down' a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

I was told to wait at least 3months for my smear test

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi

just looked at the website for cervical check (should have thought of that before) and they state........
    "I am pregnant and have received an invitation letter, what do I do?

If you are due your routine smear test and you are pregnant, then the smear test can be delayed until three months after you give birth. Simply call the CervicalCheck Freephone and indicate that you wish to defer your routine smear test."

So 3 months post birth it is - just need to phone them and state I want it postponed!

Advertisement