Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

James Cameron recalls wanting to direct JP

  • 14-09-2012 7:06am
    #1
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Adam Khor


    http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/james-cameron-says-he-wanted-to-direct-jurassic-park-wouldve-put-aliens-in-it-20120913

    I'm kinda pissed at him for saying "Dinosaurs are for 8 year olds". If that was the case Jurassic Park wouldn´t have been the most succesful movie of its time. I personally am glad Spielberg beat him to buy the rights. And I remember reading that Crichton actually specified that he would only sell the rights to Spielberg and Spielberg alone, so I guess Cameron is just jealous... :pac:

    Oh and what do you think about what some say, that the novel was better than the film? Because I always liked the film more. I mean the novel was cool because you got to "see" more dinosaurs and it had some really nasty parts (what with the baby-eating compies at the beginning and all that), but the movie its just magic, to me anyways...

    Any thoughts?


Comments

  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 30,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Mickeroo


    Funnily enough I think Cameron's version would have been closer to the novel going by what he said. I enjoyed both books but I think the film is the thing that will always have a place in my heart. The combination of John Williams' amazing score and Spielberg capturing the essence of that fascination I had for Dinos as a kid. I was only about twelve when it came out and it blew me away, saw it again in the cinema last year and it's not really lost it's effect on me I have to say.


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,747 ✭✭✭✭ Galvasean


    The book is great in its own right and very dark in places. For example, Grant's relationship with Ellie is somewhat dubious as he is in his early fifties and she is in her early twenties. It is noted that she was an unexceptional student but favoured by Grant because of her looks.
    While I'd have liked to have seen a darker Jurasic Park by Cameron (watched the extended cut of Aliens the other night on BluRay and its flawless) I certainly would not like it at the expense of the film we did get. Spielberg pulled off a masterstroke with JP. He managed to make a movie everyone could enjoy. Adults love it every bit as much as kids do. It's a remarkable piece and has aged very well.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,333 ✭✭✭✭ seamus


    If JP2 had been directed by Cameron, I imagine it would have involved at least one aerial battle between pterosaurs and F/A-14s and a 30 minute sequence of heavily armed infantry being hunted through dark corridors by a handful of super-intelligent raptors.

    So a complete shambles or the most epic movie of all time, depending on your point of view.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 Owryan


    seamus wrote: »
    If JP2 had been directed by Cameron, I imagine it would have involved at least one aerial battle between pterosaurs and F/A-14s and a 30 minute sequence of heavily armed infantry being hunted through dark corridors by a handful of super-intelligent raptors.

    So a complete shambles or the most epic movie of all time, depending on your point of view.

    would actually love to see that version lol


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Adam Khor


    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Funnily enough I think Cameron's version would have been closer to the novel going by what he said. I enjoyed both books but I think the film is the thing that will always have a place in my heart. The combination of John Williams' amazing score and Spielberg capturing the essence of that fascination I had for Dinos as a kid. I was only about twelve when it came out and it blew me away, saw it again in the cinema last year and it's not really lost it's effect on me I have to say.

    Agreed 100%.

    BTW- On a completely unrelated note, did you see the extended version of The Abyss?


  • Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 30,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Mickeroo


    Adam Khor wrote: »
    Agreed 100%.

    BTW- On a completely unrelated note, did you see the extended version of The Abyss?

    I rewatched The Abyss recently on TV, i had only seen it once before. It's great, it had been so long since the first time I watched that I wasn't sure if it was the extended one I was watching or not though.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,866 ✭✭✭✭ MagicMarker


    seamus wrote: »
    If JP2 had been directed by Cameron, I imagine it would have involved at least one aerial battle between pterosaurs and F/A-14s and a 30 minute sequence of heavily armed infantry being hunted through dark corridors by a handful of super-intelligent raptors.

    So a complete shambles or the most epic movie of all time, depending on your point of view.
    Godzilla... nuff said.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Adam Khor


    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I rewatched The Abyss recently on TV, i had only seen it once before. It's great, it had been so long since the first time I watched that I wasn't sure if it was the extended one I was watching or not though.

    I didn´t even know there was an extended version until I downloaded it recently- I think the whole
    giant wave and apocalyptic message at the end
    were not in the VHS version I saw as a kid.


  • Registered Users Posts: 714 Ziphius


    Adam Khor wrote: »
    Oh and what do you think about what some say, that the novel was better than the film? Because I always liked the film more. I mean the novel was cool because you got to "see" more dinosaurs and it had some really nasty parts (what with the baby-eating compies at the beginning and all that), but the movie its just magic, to me anyways...

    Any thoughts?

    I agree with you here. The book was fun but the film did have a sense of wonder and magic. I think Spielberg pitched it perfectly. It's something that can be enjoyed by young children and adults without patronising either.


Advertisement