Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What files do I need to boot a machine?

Options
  • 13-09-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

One of my HDD's is dying, so I took it out to put it into another machine to copy data off it. Unfortunately the other machine doesn't see the drive (but the main one does), and it seems my main machine won't boot without the faulty drive in it.

When I try to boot, it hangs at "verifying dmi pool data...." and will not go beyond it, even if I select other drives as the boot drive. When I put the faulty drive back in into the machine, and select to boot off it, I get past the "verifying dmi pool data...." part, and i can then boot off my SSD drive.

Thus I probably need some files off the faulty drive, but not sure which ones to take. I'm running Windows 7 ultimate off my SSD.

I'm guessing it's the bootmanager folder/files.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fixed it :D
    Got the free EasyBCD: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

On the "BCD Backup/Repair" page of EasyBCD, there's an option called "Change Boot Drive" which will bring up a list of all local disks. Selected my C as the new drive and it's all good now. Will leave this here for anyone who gets the same error.

Advertisement