Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors: €200 cash €400 through the books

Options
  • 13-09-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I have had this experience before. Anyone else?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

I dont know why that type of offer would work as even paying tax on the €400 would give him more than €200 when expenses are taken into account.

You should never pay cash to a solicitor or others on the basis that you are defrauding revenue and you will therefore not have a legal action if required against the person if their advise is neglegant in any way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I'd be very weary of their advice if this is their attitude to been paid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭enricoh

my oul boy had a barrister for the high court in the mid 80's and paid him 3/4s in cash. i think tax was rediculous at the time 60% plus.
    later on same barrister chaired an inquiry on bribes, corruption etc, the oul boy always got a laugh out of it when he was on the news lambasting some lad for corruption!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

enricoh wrote: »
    my oul boy had a barrister for the high court in the mid 80's and paid him 3/4s in cash. i think tax was rediculous at the time 60% plus.
    later on same barrister chaired an inquiry on bribes, corruption etc, the oul boy always got a laugh out of it when he was on the news lambasting some lad for corruption!

Why would he be paying a barrister directly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

jblack wrote: »
    enricoh wrote: »

Might have been a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭solarplexus

jblack wrote: »

I have seen this happen in all my personal dealings with Barristers.. I always paid them direct.... Its not meant to be the way but there ya go!

I've seen where in fact a client choose their own barrister!!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

There's one very wellknown solicitor operating a mere stone's throw from the Four Courts and he has a neat trick. When the time comes to pay him for services rendered, he guides you in the conversation (twice in my case ) to meet him within the portals of the main Four Courts building where he barrells along the corridors with an armful of files. He has already prepared the ground by saying that he is 'up to his eyes' in cases that afternoon and he can't even get out to the bank so maybe I could bring cash ? Upon meeting him, we stepped sideways into a window/alcove and there he accepts the cash saying : "I'll have to send you a receipt for that when I get back to the office"...and you've guessed iit, the receipt never arrives. Neither did phone calls to his office result in the receipts being furnished.
    A word with his sec brings the reply that the file on that matter has not been finalised and there is no reference to money on it.....so she will "get him to ring me". Would you like to guess again ? He never calls me.

Odd thing is that I kinda knew I was being stroked but it's not easy to turn on these guys when you've been through difficult litigation, etc in their hands.

In my cases, the business at hand related to family wills in which I was the executor in each case. On the expense sheets, I recorded the fact that the solicitor failed to provide receipts and informed all concerned who he was and where and when he was paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    He has already prepared the ground by saying that he is 'up to his eyes' in cases that afternoon and he can't even get out to the bank so maybe I could bring cash ?

I don't understand - why would you need to bring cash because he can't get to the bank? Surely you'd be able to pay him through the bank without him being present?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Someone doesn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭enricoh

i dont know why he did, just his solicitor said that he wasnt the man to take the case any further n lined up the barrister for him

• Advertisement
Advertisement