Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC 4now....

Options
  • 13-09-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭

I will keep it short as its already started but theres a documentary on BBC 4 about British Rails Intercity 125....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

enjoying it.
    classic quote about thatcher.
    saying how her mode of transport may of been a stick across the sky at night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Intercity 125 saved British Rail which begs the question !!! Is our Intercity 100, whenever it comes about, going to save our bacon ??? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Enjoyed that, looked more at the background politics, personalities and advertising than technicalities. Hard to believe most of the footage was from well over 30 years ago, time flies :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting one, bloody unions! Amazing anything worked back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Intercity 125 saved British Rail which begs the question !!! Is our Intercity 100, whenever it comes about, going to save our bacon ??? :o

a subject I have often touched on.

I was there when IC125 was first introduced and they had an offer "125 pence to anywhere" I went to Swansea and it was like another world, smooth , fast, quiet. comfortable...thats Mk3s for you, we should get some!

We need a service like that (at least on the Cork line , and Belfast too). 35 years too late ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

corktina wrote: »
    a subject I have often touched on.

I was there when IC125 was first introduced and they had an offer "125 pence to anywhere" I went to Swansea and it was like another world, smooth , fast, quiet. comfortable...thats Mk3s for you, we should get some!

We need a service like that (at least on the Cork line , and Belfast too). 35 years too late ?

This recent newspaper article makes for sober reading. There is no reference at all to Irish Rail striving towards an early attainment of its previously mentioned aims of eg - a 2hr rail journey time to Cork. as outlined in the Aecom/Goodbody report. They would seriously need to be getting a move on as the clock has been ticking for 35 years as you say.

Advertisement