Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Section Questions

Options
  • 13-09-2012 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

I know in the grand scheme of things these questions are petit, didn't want to ask the doc for that reason but would love to know the answers if anyone could answer I would appreciate it please.

I'm having a section in the Rotunda.

What happens when I go in that morning, do I just queue with lots of other women in a corridor/waiting room/ward?

Do I put on my nightdress, dressing gown and slippers to wait or do I wear a hospital gown?

Will I get changed into clean clothes before going to ward?

Afterwards when I am in the ward do I buzz the nurses everytime I need to feed baby or change baby's nappy?

Are laxatives and antibiotics routinely prescribed to c-section patients?

Can I eat after recovery?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Cant speak for the Rotunda, but in another hospital I had a section recently.

I started off in my nightie, and then the nurses helped me gown up with the stockings etc. Dont wear any jewellery or nailvarnish. They will take it off you and I didnt fancy not knowing where my jewellery was so I left it at home.

The nurses will help you change into a night gown once you reach the ward.

you may be pretty zonked, as I was, but the nurse positioned the baby at my breast when I was on my side, and pretty much left him with me, checking on me and helping me change sides, I snoozed and so did baby, and my partner was there too until about 1.30am then when baby cried, the nurse came in to hand the baby to me - they also did all the nappy changes. I didnt have to buzz them.

I wasnt given antibiotics or laxitives, but the Difene worked on me as a laxative for a couple of days, for which I was very grateful indeed. If you dont get any, ask for them.

In my case, I got sick on water after the birth so they didnt feed me until the following morning - tea and toast only to see if it would stay down then I was able to have lunch later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Just gonna pop my answers about a section in after your qns! My experience is holles st tho!
    I know in the grand scheme of things these questions are petit, didn't want to ask the doc for that reason but would love to know the answers if anyone could answer I would appreciate it please.

I'm having a section in the Rotunda.

What happens when I go in that morning, do I just queue with lots of other women in a corridor/waiting room/ward?

I went in to the outpatients ward at 6.30am. By 8 they did a trace and went thought all the documentation with me - like consent forms etc. then they asked me to go into the bathroom across the hall to change into gown and put on compression stockings. Then I had to wait.. And wait for what felt like forever! There were a couple of other women also waiting - but there were a few emergencies that morning so we were obviously left until after them. At 12.45 I was called . Went into small room across from theatre and hubby got gowned up, I then was led into the theatre - he followed me in once it had started.

Do I put on my nightdress, dressing gown and slippers to wait or do I wear a hospital gown?

I was in a tracksuit until they asked me to change!

Will I get changed into clean clothes before going to ward?

I was still in the gown when they brought ne to the ward post op, I was a bit ( ok totally!!) out of it and became obsessed with changing into my own nightie - like obsessed.. To the point where I almost pulled my drip out!! Think I wanted to wear my new clothes!! Haha! Hubby helped me change / nurse would have if I had waited 2 mins!!!

Afterwards when I am in the ward do I buzz the nurses everytime I need to feed baby or change baby's nappy?

My baby was born at 1.30 - my hubby was with me til 11pm. Nurses and him helped me feed her, the nurses changed her nappy twice during night for me. I was woken at 6.30 am for a shower / the nurse helped ne walk there and waited outside for me.
    Was totally fine. They are so helpful and I wasn't embarrassed.

Are laxatives and antibiotics routinely prescribed to c-section patients?

I wasn't prescribed these. They want you to have done a bowel movement within a couple of days - I did and was expecting it to hurt and it wasn't bad at all. I found for both peeing and otherwise holding your would helped loads!

Can I eat after recovery?

Weirdly I can't even remember if I ate that day!! I remember I ate brekkie the next morn!!!

Thanks in advance.

Regardless of the surgery it's a great day!

Oh the one other thing I wanted to know about.... They changed my maternity pad for me until next morning when I could go to bathroom myself! I thought this would be embarrassing but because your numb and can't move to much its strangely not!!

Overall I thought holles st were great.

The very best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Our section was planned and was brought forward by 4 days. We only found out the day before so we were still a bit in shock but it was all great.

We went in to the maternity ward at 7.30am. By 8 they did a trace and went thought all the documentation with me - like consent forms etc. then they explained there were 3 women for section that day and I was first in that morning so should be done first. There was very little waiting round after that and I got changed into the theatre gown with a very glamarous hat :rolleyes: and I dont remember when those god awful socks appeared but they did ....

I was brought down to surgery and while I was scared I enjoyed watching all the buzzing going on around me. They all seemed so organised so I relaxed a lot. The anaestasist (sp??) was very funny and asked me where the fella who caused all this bother was. I think it was to distract me from the injection which was the only bad part of the whole day and was only a twinge.. They brought himself in then and again the jokes were flying, rugby chat galore and we got recommendations for vineyards in France...

A bit of pulling and dragging then and junior arrived just before 10 am. They cleaned him up and put him on my chest. They then brought out Daddy and son while they finished with me. I was in the recovery room til they had a room for me - about 2 hours and then for the 5 days from then I had a private room thank god. I had toast and tea later that day.

The nurses did everything til the following morning and I had a shower at 6 or so and was mobile from then on. I never felt bad pain to be honest.

I didnt get laxatives or antibiotics.

I have to say I found the planned section a very 'pleasant' experience. I didnt want the drama of a dash to the hospital in the pit of the night so this worked well for me. Try to relax and enjoy - its your baby's birthday afterall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Spare a thought for the partner in all of this too: I though it was the most lonely seat in the world, waiting outside the theatre on my own before the action started. All sorts of thoughts going through the head. I stopped to have a quick chat with another guy waiting in "my chair" when we were finished, telling him "I'd been that soldier" and everything would be great.
    My wife was in Drogheda and they were fab there. She didn't have to do any lifting/ changing etc. for the first day (was a bit sore anyway). The staff are involved in childbirth every day. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you haven't been through the experience before, how are you supposed to know what's going to happen? Nobody will laugh at you, no matter what you ask...

Good luck.

I'm sure it's hard alright but I can't imagine how hard it is for men to sit beside their loved ones during a normal labour :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Thanks for all the informative replies. I feel ready for it now, and am not dreading it as much as I was.
    I am a bit freaked however that they could just call you in 4 days earlier than planned! knowing the date was the only advantage I really saw over a vaginal delivery :-(
    Has anyone else ever been called in earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Spare a thought for the partner in all of this too: I though it was the most lonely seat in the world, waiting outside the theatre on my own before the action started. All sorts of thoughts going through the head. I stopped to have a quick chat with another guy waiting in "my chair" when we were finished, telling him "I'd been that soldier" and everything would be great.
    My wife was in Drogheda and they were fab there. She didn't have to do any lifting/ changing etc. for the first day (was a bit sore anyway). The staff are involved in childbirth every day. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you haven't been through the experience before, how are you supposed to know what's going to happen? Nobody will laugh at you, no matter what you ask...

Good luck.

Spare a thought for the fathers who are not allowed in to the emergency c sections because their partner had to have general anaesthetic... Happened to my partner and he said it was the longest night of his life waiting for the baby to be brought out and then to hear that I was ok.

I am a bit freaked however that they could just call you in 4 days earlier than planned! knowing the date was the only advantage I really saw over a vaginal delivery :-(
    Has anyone else ever been called in earlier?

Don't worry it was a once off due the surgeons family bereavement.

Advertisement