Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Puddles of oil on coil packs and in wells - Focus MK2

Options
  • 13-09-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

The other half's Focus wouldn't start, so having gone for a look, won't even spark. But the battery and all electrics are fine.

She says the engine management light flashed on, so she pulled in, and it started again fine after.

But now wouldn't start after parking it up.

Checked on the coilpacks, all 4 had puddles of oil in each well, and plugs were soaked in oil.

Does it sound like valve cover gasket, or something more serious?

Any ideas? Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Is there any oil in the sump?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Ferris wrote: »
    Is there any oil in the sump?

Oil level was fine on the dipstick.

Checked it only last week, and it's the same today

(EDIT: It's parked up in a supermarket carpark - so it's not near me to check on right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Col200sx wrote: »
    Oil level was fine on the dipstick.

Checked it only last week, and it's the same today

(EDIT: It's parked up in a supermarket carpark - so it's not near me to check on right now)

Thats good, just checking.

Sound like the cam cover is leaking, but its unusual to leak into all wells so something must be causing it to leak so something like the crankcase vent valve being stuck. As for why it wont start, i'd be thinking about removing the sparks and coilpacks and cleaning them. Bring them back to the car and see if there is a difference.

Cheers :)

Ya as thought, it was the rocker cover gasket.

So replaced it, plugs and dried coil packs, and sorted.

On a side note, used a turkey-baster to siphon out the excess oil down the wells, and it worked brilliantly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Col200sx wrote: »
    Cheers :)

Ya as thought, it was the rocker cover gasket.

So replaced it, plugs and dried coil packs, and sorted.

On a side note, used a turkey-baster to siphon out the excess oil down the wells, and it worked brilliantly :)

Was the timing belt done recently? Just wondering as I've found out since the timing belt was done on the Wife's car that the rocker gasket should be replaced as its disturbed when doing the belt, ours leaks a bit but not too much so it doesn't pose a problem as of yet.

• Advertisement

renofan wrote: »
    Was the timing belt done recently? Just wondering as I've found out since the timing belt was done on the Wife's car that the rocker gasket should be replaced as its disturbed when doing the belt, ours leaks a bit but not too much so it doesn't pose a problem as of yet.

Timing belt was done around 40k (klms) ago, have no proof if the rocker cover gasket was also done then.

But done it with a genuine Ford gasket to be sure, it's fine since.

Expensive enough though, gasket cost €37 from Motorpark, Galway :(

Advertisement