Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving other cars & breakdown assistance

• 13-09-2012 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

I have two quick questions.

1) I am allowed to driving other cars with owners permission. From my policy t&c's I think I am allowed to do that within Ireland & the UK. Is that true or is it just within Republic of Ireland? Also, does it have to be a Southern Reg car?

2) If I call breakdown assistance in the UK it doesn't affect my no claims bonus correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Liberty Insurance: Philip

Hey Vuzuggu,

To answer your first question, the extension applies in the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, the UK and the Channel Islands, if your certificate of insurance states that you have this cover. There are no restrictions on what the registration number should be. The full list of terms and conditions are available in your policy booklet. If you have any other queries in relation to those terms and conditions, let me know and I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

Please note there are other legal considerations if you are driving a car in the UK, as the owner of the vehicle is obliged to insure the vehicle at all times. See the following link for more details:

(http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696CID=Continuous_Insurance&PLA=DM&CRE=Furl).

And to answer your second, your no claims bonus is not affected by any breakdown assistance claims. The breakdown cover applies in the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, the UK, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
    Breakdown assistance covers the vehicle, not the policyholder. So if you are driving another car and it breaks down, the cover won’t apply.

If you break down and require assistance you should call the Breakdown Helpline on these numbers:
    1800 70 60 80 if calling from Republic of Ireland
    +353 46 90 77320 if calling from the United Kingdom or Northern Ireland

Hope this is of help.

Philip

Advertisement