Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will be regarded as classic rock in years to come?

• 13-09-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭

They say the passage of decades sorts the wheat from the chaff, although I would say bands like Kings of Leon, The Killers, The Libertines and Franz Ferdinand will still be remembered. Imo bands that will be regarded as classic rock

The Mars Volta
    ATDI
    Opeth
    Porcupine Tree (don't like his music but it has substance)
    Gojira (ok metal band but what they're releasing is pretty sublime stuff, it deserves the accolade of classic).
    The Darkness (that first album is unsurpassable)

I've excluded a good few artists that made their lot in the 90s as they're more like 90s artists, PT and Opeth I feel came into their own in the 00s.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Black Country Communion and Chickenfoot definitely classic rock. New groups with classic rockers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Cryogen

Guns N' Roses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Cryogen wrote: »
    Guns N' Roses
    Already is my friend ;-)
    The first time I heard Nirvana on a classic rock station I felt very old indeed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

snow patrol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

My Morning Jacket

Audioslave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

That scene in American Pie 4 where the jungwan in the car says the Spice Girls are classic rock made me turn off the film....until I noticed at the last second she was getting her baps out. Then it just went on mute.

-Funk

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are the likes of Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains etc. now considered classic rock?

They're now as old as Zeppelin et al. were when I was a kid listening to Nevermind & Ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fmurr34

I think Classic Rock is more of an actual sound and genre, rather than just old rock music. Newer bands like The Answer, (some of) The Darkness have a sort of classic rock sound.

In 20 years time, the classic rock music we know now will still be called "classic rock".
    Indie music will still be called indie, alternative music will still be called alternative music.

They won't automatically be renamed classic rock after a certain period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

^Aye, otherwise we'd be calling Led Zeppelin classical music in 100 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I apologise for this asinine thread, you see I was incredibly bored and had nothing better to do than ask this question but the argument that classic rock is a genre unto itself is the answer to this thread. I guess music that lasts the test of time can be regarded as classical, irrespective of genre. Classical rock would then be anything that lasts long enough to earn the name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Classic rock for me is very much what was produced in the late 1960s and the 70s.
    I class 80s rock as, well, 80s rock. Classic rock was a term that was probably coined in the 80s to label the music of a past generation- groups like Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan etc etc.

So I guess for younger people, at this point, Classic Rock is everything before your generation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 martingibson

I apologise for this asinine thread, you see I was incredibly bored and had nothing better to do than ask this question but the argument that classic rock is a genre unto itself is the answer to this thread. I guess music that lasts the test of time can be regarded as classical, irrespective of genre. Classical rock would then be anything that lasts long enough to earn the name.

I'd have to agree with you there. For me, 'classic rock' is music in the style of what was first deemed to be 'rock'. Whether it stands the test of time or not is a different matter altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

Classic rock is that period from the late sixties to the mid seventies, it is that golden age of recorded music of the 20th century. It has nothing to do with how old a band or artist is, it is that time period and nothing else. I do not consider Pearl Jam, Soundgarden or anything from the early 90's as classic rock. These modern bands that sound like a modern production of a classic rock sound are not classic rock. That classic rock period from around 1966/67 to 1975/76 is what set the standard for anything that came after it and will always be remembered for that impact it had. That's not to say what came before or after has not had any influence, of course there is a lot of influential music before and after but that period will always (to me anyway) be the most influential period of contemporary musical history. Rock music fragmented after that and split into a lot of niche genres, each with it's own set of influences and progressions which may or may not have any relevance to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

While Deschain has given a very good insight into what the term "Classic Rock" refers to, if Springsteen, Pearl Jam and Nirvana are being touted as contenders then U2 deserve a mention too IMHO

"The last of the rock stars, when hip-hop drove the big cars" U2 Kite

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 martingibson

I don't think you can put that strict a time limit on it, especially regarding artists from that period who kept their sound 'classic' into the late '70's/early '80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Radiohead, Muse, Manic Street Preachers....

Advertisement