Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CUMH Visiting Hours

Options
  • 13-09-2012 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,

Does anybody have any recent experiences with CUMH's visiting hours? I'm wondering if fathers are as bound by the stated visiting hours as all visitors, or if they're allowed more leeway.

Thanks!

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

When I had my daughter in Summer 2011 they allowed my boyfriend stay overnight, he slept on a recliner chair. We did have a private room though so I'm not sure what would happen if you were sharing.

I know 4 people who have given birth there since April of this year and their partners were all allowed in before and after visiting hours, I think they're fairly lax when it comes to father of the baby and will allow him in whenever so long as he isn't arriving too early or too late.

I know 2 other people whose partners were allowed stay overnight but I know one whose partner wasn't. I think it depends on who happens to be on security, and which nurses are on during the night.

Best of luck :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The visiting hours are different for partners, they're on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DanInRealTime

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    When I had my daughter in Summer 2011 they allowed my boyfriend stay overnight, he slept on a recliner chair. We did have a private room though so I'm not sure what would happen if you were sharing.

I know 4 people who have given birth there since April of this year and their partners were all allowed in before and after visiting hours, I think they're fairly lax when it comes to father of the baby and will allow him in whenever so long as he isn't arriving too early or too late.

I know 2 other people whose partners were allowed stay overnight but I know one whose partner wasn't. I think it depends on who happens to be on security, and which nurses are on during the night.

Best of luck :)

Thanks, WhiteRoses! Very helpful!

Do you mind if I ask about your insurance and what you went with in terms of coverage? We're new to all this so we're pretty confused about consultants fees etc and whether they're ever covered by insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Thanks, WhiteRoses! Very helpful!

Do you mind if I ask about your insurance and what you went with in terms of coverage? We're new to all this so we're pretty confused about consultants fees etc and whether they're ever covered by insurance.

I went private because my pregnancy was determined to be high risk from the beginning, so this won't apply to you and your partner if you are public/semi private.
    My insurance covered my costs, which were roughly around €4000. I think I had to pay for the two scans I had (dating and anamoly) myself. I also paid my own consultants fees which amounted to about €2,500.
    For me it was worth it to go private because I saw the same consultant every time. These numbers may not be 100% accurate, my brain isn't functioning this late but I'm pretty sure that's what I paid.

From what I've heard the public system is fantastic thought and had I been low risk I would
    most likely have gone public :)
    Found the hospital to be lovely, midwives were great, staff were very friendly and caring.
    My only gripe is that they are very quick to offer sections. This may not be an issue for you if you are planning an elective section but a cesarean was something I wanted to avoid at all costs and I was offered an elective one quite a few times for no good reason during appointments.
    I think statistically 1/3 births in CUMH are sections, which is extremely high. If you are planning an elective section I *think* some insurance providers don't cover it but I'm not sure as I didn't have one myself.

What are ye thinking of going with? :)

For the record, we went public and the service was great. You should really only go private if there may be issues, or if you want to lock in a private room. Even then there's no guarantee, if the hospital is busy - and it's /always/ busy - you'll get what you're given. If you've paid your taxes, you should get the benefit out of them while you still can.

Round 2 in February!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info! Yeah, we were both under the impression that private is good if you have a high risk pregnancy, but that there's nothing wrong with public. We were leaning in that direction anyway, so I'd say we'll say with the public.

I had heard of the issues with room availability, and figured it's essentially a gamble that may not pay off, so thanks for that, dahamsta.

We're hoping to avoid a section too if we can. My better half isn't pregnant yet, but I'm pretty OCD about planning ahead, which I'm sure you'll appreciate when it's our first child we're hoping for!

Thanks for all the info, guys. Really helps clear up the picture. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I was a high risk pregnancy, and decided against private in CUMH because I got scanned every fortnight on the public anyway. All the private would have gotten me was a private room at the end, if available. It wasn't worth the 4k in my eyes.

If I wasn't high risk, and wanted loads of scans, I would have probably gone private.

What insurance covered private in CUMH WhiteRoses?

Fathers can come and go as they please as far as I could see anyway.

Btw, it's very quiet in there at the moment. 2 cars in the underground carpark when I was coming out of there visiting someone last week.

Defo OCD asking these questions before the pregnancy!

pwurple wrote: »
    I was a high risk pregnancy, and decided against private in CUMH because I got scanned every fortnight on the public anyway. All the private would have gotten me was a private room at the end, if available. It wasn't worth the 4k in my eyes.

If I wasn't high risk, and wanted loads of scans, I would have probably gone private.

What insurance covered private in CUMH WhiteRoses?

Fathers can come and go as they please as far as I could see anyway.

Btw, it's very quiet in there at the moment. 2 cars in the underground carpark when I was coming out of there visiting someone last week.

Defo OCD asking these questions before the pregnancy!

Interesting to hear it's quiet at the moment. Thanks for sharing your experiences also.

There've been a few problem pregnancies in my family, so I just like having this stuff clear in my head already so that, when the time comes, I know how things are.

Having said that, I'll be the first to admit my OCD is way over the top a lot of the time ;)

They tend to hint that fathers leave when it's getting late, but they don't make a big deal of it. It never really becomes an issue, you're generally only there for the birth and a day or two after, unless there are complications. I was there overnight for the birth and I think I stayed quite late the next night, remember watching babs sleep when it was dark. Hoofed it out of there next day, prefer to be at home.

If your wife isn't pregnant yet, you have more important things to be focusing on....

Advertisement