Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being a college drop out...

Options
  • 13-09-2012 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

So I done my leaving in 2011 and done reasonably well, considering a did little work. I got the course I thought I wanted to do and moved to Dublin. The course was Marketing, Innovation and Technology and did not enjoy it at all and after only a few months I had stopped going to lectures and fell behind.

The course required a lot of public speaking and working in groups with is really not me. A family bereavement before my semester one exams meant I had to defer them until summer. This really set me back as I was going into semester two having accomplished pretty much nothing. In Semester two I could not face going to college so I stayed in my accommodation and continued to socialize with my college friends, it was not until April that I decided I had enough and moved home.

This was when I had to convince my parents that I was doing the right thing. I had to bargain with them that I would go back next year to college. In the meantime I do have a part-time job through school and college and have been guaranteed as many hours as possible this year that I am taking off.

I know if I do go back I am going to have at least a couple of thousand to pay for fees for the first year and will be 21 going into 1st year. I didn't know what I want to do but Im not sure college is for me as I am far too laid back to motivate myself.

I do have some pipe dreams of opening a cáfe/ restaurant as I have a interest in food and am a good enough cook.

I just would like to hear if anyone has experiences with taking a year out from college and dropping out as I am really unsure what to do after this year is over

AK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Being a chef is a very demanding job, laid back wouldn't exactly be the best quality for a chef. Never mind the fact that quite a lot of restaurants and cafes have closed in the past few years. Not trying to dash your dream, it just doesn't seem a viable option to me.

If I were you I'd be aiming to get back to college, it'll be difficult to get a decent job without one.
    Try do a course that interests you, if you're adamant on opening a restaurant in the future you could try to a culinary arts degree.
    Do proper research on the courses you're considering, what kind of modules it has (do they have group assignments, be of any interest to you etc), job prospects and how many years it'll take to complete.

The later you leave it to go back to college the more expensive it will likely get, who knows what the future budgets will bring.
    But if you go back you can't really afford to doss about, otherwise you're just throwing a lot of money down the drain.
    To repeat/redo first year it'll probably cost about €8,000 (not 100% sure so check yourself) and then registration for second and third year will be about €2,500 each, and that's before any other expenses.
    It'll probably cost at least €20,000 over 3 years to get a degree so you'll have to see if your parents are willing help you, whether you'll be able to get a loan or whether you'll just have to work your ass off and save save save.
    Maybe you'll be eligible for a grant if you get to second year and maybe you will be eligible for btea.

About the lack of motivation, one way you could prevent yourself dossing about at college would be to commute (if possible). You'll have to get out of bed early and you'll have nothing else to do in college but attend lectures.
    You could do that for 1st year and or second year and when you're taking your course seriously maybe find somewhere to stay for the last year or two.
    I see you're in Monaghan, maybe look for some courses in DKIT because that's not an unreasonable commute, there's buses or you could drive. If you don't have a licence try get one this year on your year out.

All just my opinion of course, I know a degree isn't the be all and end all and it doesn't guarantee a job. It's up to you to sit down and decide what you want and see where you see yourself in the future, with or without a degree.

I was in a similar situation to you, wasted time and a lot of money messing about at college but I got my act together and got my degree and glad I did or who knows where I'd be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Advertisement