Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Employed & Unemployment Assistance - You Can't Win!

Options
  • 12-09-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this.
    Am self employed and partner is too. His income has been tiny this year & mine was just okay until a couple of months ago when work died almost completely. This happened over a year ago & I was means tested, successful and was on it a week when I got a great amount of work so signed off immediately. This time I am really stuck with all the usual bills etc. and have a very small amount of work for the rest of the year. I applied for assistance (hoping I would get work by the time it was processed as before) and I was refused based on my earnings. Am just at the threshold - they are basing it on the first 7 months of the year and taking an average monthly rate from that so the rest of the years projections are this rate - which brings me right to the threshold. I won't make this which is the most frustrating part of it!

I do fully understand that they are the rules and I don't apply and this is not my problem. I have barely any income for the rest of the year and have now gone into arrears on my mortgage etc.I am also applying for jobs as I am happy to take a job or more contract work as self employed- whichever comes first. The problem is all the jobs I can do are all jobsbridge so I can't apply as I am not in receipt of social welfare. If I want to try other routes like a different career where there's more work I can't do FAS courses either! I was with the Dept of Social Welfare today & they said there's nothing I can do - and I quote "you'd wonder why anyone would become self employed?".

Anyway my question is if anyone else has come across this before? Surely the answer isn't that I am forced to unregister as self employed and then try to sign on again as unemployed instead of self employed?
    Don't get me wrong, I would jump at the chance of getting work and the last thing I want is to be stuck on social welfare so it's not like I am trying to get it so I don't have to worry about work !
    Am just interested to hear of anyone else's experiences?

Thanks
    E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You could always appeal the decision......but you will have to wait several months for an appeal to be heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Equanimity

Thanks mgbgt1978

I don't think there's any point as that's just how they calculate out your means when you are self employed. I gather it will always be the same outcome.
    It's a pity they can't even put you on some system that even if it doesn't pay because you are just over the means test threshold (even though I am actually not as I won't be earning for the rest of the year) so you can apply for jobsbridge work and FAS courses - if your income was deemed to be very low.

It's so frustrating!

Eq

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement