Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best social life

Options
  • 12-09-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

i dont know where to go after the leaving cert , anyone have any good ideas looking for one that has a good social life and fun to go to not some **** hole in the middle of know where ... so please share your're experiences from the college you're at and whats it like and freshers week and all that jazz thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Pick a college based on the course you want, not on where has the best social life

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If you're choosing a college based solely on the social life, then I would urge you to seriously think about your decision.

There's no point going to a college where you'll have the craic at night, but hate your course and end up either:

a) Dropping out after a year or two, after wasting several thousands of euro on accommodation, fees, books, etc.
    b) Graduating after four years only to realise you have no interest whatsoever in working in the field in which you're qualified.

Narrow it down to a few places first, based on the courses you're interested in, THEN ask people about the social life in those particular colleges.

All that said, Limerick's the fupping shpot! :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Galway or Limerick have by far the best college social scenes, and are generally cheaper for accommodation and for heading out than most. However, course is most important

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Doriath

hold off on college for a year or two, work if you can and party it up being free from school ;) after a while apply to college for what you want to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Doriath wrote: »
    hold off on college for a year or two, work if you can and party it up being free from school ;) after a while apply to college for what you want to do!

I completely agree with this. I took a year out so felt ready for what college had to offer (in terms of education as opposed to social scene).

Pick something that you enjoy and see being useful in terms of your career aspirations. If you have none right now, then don't go to college now.

It seems really immature to be thinking of choosing a college based on it's location and party scene. College is what you make of it, and you can have a great time as well as getting an education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

ok i agree 100% with everybody but i didnt mean it in a way where i dont care about the course i do i was just wondering like which places is more friendly i suppose they all are but like event wise close campus stuff like that atm im considering doing dental hygiene i was thinking about computer science but im hearing many stories and they dont seem to good :/ , sorry for short reply and thanks to everybody who did reply :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Some people for go places at Oxford and Cambridge to go to Edinburgh based on the fact that its a brilliant University but the city is so much better. That said there isnt really that option in Ireland. The best colleges are in Dublin and the arguably the night life is no better or worse in any of the Irish towns.

Probably a bit late for this advice but if you want a damn good Uni and cracking town Edinburgh - You'll have to work your ass off to get the grades though.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

Some people for go places at Oxford and Cambridge to go to Edinburgh based on the fact that its a brilliant University but the city is so much better. That said there isnt really that option in Ireland. The best colleges are in Dublin and the arguably the night life is no better or worse in any of the Irish towns.

Probably a bit late for this advice but if you want a damn good Uni and cracking town Edinburgh - You'll have to work your ass off to get the grades though.

true but i have no idea how the point system works there i will be applying through ucas though but then again i have no idea how it works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Reon wrote: »
    true but i have no idea how the point system works there i will be applying through ucas though but then again i have no idea how it works

The CAO and UCAS system are very different. The CAO system has a lot going for it but also has some crazy features such as student just applying for a course because they think they may get it. I think this have a major influence on the attitude here of 'I'll just get to college it doesn't matter what I do'.

UCAS you would be well advised to apply for the same course at different Unis - applying for different courses looks like you dont know what you want to do, and will count against you there. You'll apply for 1 Uni you know you wont get into - incase you get amazing grades - 1 you know you'll get into regardless (two Es) and 4 (IIRC) ones you really do want. Offerers will be sent based on grades and these do not change based on applications. So Edinburgh will probably want AAB somewhere like Heriot Watt (also in Edinburgh) will want BBC and a like. There are conversions for leaving cert to A level points on the web.

Key is to be careful with UCAS the system doesn't like the CAO attitude to applications.

NB I'm not slating the CAO system it removes alot of the snobbery that is present in the UCAS system.

Advertisement