Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Methane Detector

Options
  • 12-09-2012 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Almost had a deadly accident with gas there. Would like not to repeat it. Where can these be bought? Any recommended ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Methane specifically? From what source? I'm hoping that you say from the gas fire/cooker, but usually that's referred to as natural gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Methane specifically? From what source? I'm hoping that you say from the gas fire/cooker, but usually that's referred to as natural gas.

Sorry, natural gas then. From a cooker. I left the hob on, seriously lucky to be typing this.

Maplin used to do these, but not any more.
    Radionics do CO and H2S, but no CH4.

Maybe it's best that we ask what caused the incident and work on from there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Maplin used to do these, but not any more.
    Radionics do CO and H2S, but no CH4.

Maybe it's best that we ask what caused the incident and work on from there?

Well, I didn't turn the hob off correctly. So I need an alarm that shouts "Idiot!", "Idiot!" repeatedly. :)

Kidde do a natural gas alarm.

http://www.kiddecanada.com/utcfs/Templates/Pages/Template-53/0,8062,pageId%3D2763%26siteId%3D463,00.html

But it's not in their European store... typical.

• Advertisement

Sorry, natural gas then. From a cooker. I left the hob on, seriously lucky to be typing this.

surprised you filled the room with gas, modern gas appliances have thermocouples that shut off the gas when the flame goes out!

Is there a fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

Sounds like you have an old appliance without a thermocouple. All new gas appliances have them now fitted by law. When there is a flame present it heats a small finger which opens a safety valve and lets the gas flow. If for any reason there is no flame present the valve closes and the gas is shut off. It is foolproof and does not require any powersupply. It would be a much better idea to buy a new appliance if your budget can allow it.

Advertisement