Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard III?

Options
  • 12-09-2012 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Mouth swabs and DNA tests are to be deployed in the search for the lost remains of one of England's most reviled monarchs after the discovery of a deformed skeleton beneath a Leicester car park.
    The crooked spine of a long-dead warrior, complete with an arrow in its back and a gash across its skull, was found on the site of the Grey Friars church, where King Richard III is thought to have been buried in 1485 after losing his throne and his life at the battle of Bosworth Field.
    Archaeologists remain cautious about linking the bones with the king, but they describe it as "certainly warranting further detailed examination". Laboratory tests will now be carried out at Leicester University, whose archaeologists have been excavating the city centre site with the help of the Richard III Society.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/sep/12/richard-skeleton-king-remains-bosworth

Pretty cool if it turns out to be true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

IF they are the remains of King Richard III, then his belated funeral will be an occasion not to be missed.

Think of it - the VERY LAST monarch to reign in England who was actually English.

All those since him have been Welsh, Scottish, Dutch and German of one kind or another.

I'll admit that I'm biased - I am a member of the Richard the Third Society.

Hopefully, they will bury him alongside his queen, Anne Woodville, in Westminster Abbey, but if not, then York Minster or Gloucester cathedral will do nicely.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

I thought the Richard III society said he would be interred at Leicester Cathedral should his remains be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

tac foley wrote: »
    IF they are the remains of King Richard III, then his belated funeral will be an occasion not to be missed.

Think of it - the VERY LAST monarch to reign in England who was actually English.

All those since him have been Welsh, Scottish, Dutch and German of one kind or another.

Hopefully, they will bury him alongside his queen, Anne Woodville, in Westminster Abbey, but if not, then York Minster or Gloucester cathedral will do nicely.

tac

Given that he was a member of the House of Plantagenet (The Angevins) he was surely last French King of England ;) the last english king been Harold Godwinson who met his end at Battle of Hastings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Out of curiosity Tac, what do the Richard III society do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dubhthach wrote: »
    Given that he was a member of the House of Plantagenet (The Angevins) he was surely last French King of England ;) the last english king been Harold Godwinson who met his end at Battle of Hastings.
    You might argue Harold was at least partly Dutch(and Scots IIRC)... :D On that score, though as Tac points out those following Richard were indeed more Welsh and Scots, they were also more "local" being British.

Like Tac I've always had a soft spot for Richard 3. Talk about a political hatchet job, though I suppose if you are to be on the receiving end of a hatchet job, you've not done too badly if Willie Shakespeare is writing the copy. :)

It'll be an amazing find if the DNA is still viable and can be matched.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thank you, Sir, for putting me right, again.

Richard was born in England of English parents, and spoke English [as well as French, as many of us do :P].

He would have called himself English, just as Harald Godwinsson would have called himself English, taking the term from Aelfred, who was the first king in all of Angleland to call himself and his people English.

As for the 'French connection', I'm certain that you, as a historian, would recognise that even as late as Henry VIII's coronation, he swore allegiance to the then King of France as his 'liegeman', although he was later to conveniently overlook that in the invasion of France that he undertook.

If we really NEED to be picky, and history is full of picky, then we must go back to the time of the invasion by the Romans in 44AD to find the last TRULY British king, although, with such a plethora of tribes in Celtic Britain, the term would probably not have meant the same thing. There was, AFAWK, no unified leader as there is said to have been in Ireland almost a thousand years later. 'Arthur' may have exsited as an amalgam of British leaders fending off the invasions from the east - for a while.

Prasutagus, maybe? Or his 'queen', Boudicca? Catuvelaunus? Who knows? As in nearby Ireland, each tribe seems to have had its own 'king' - some even minted coins with their king's head on them.

Whatever, the next tranche of so-called royalty after Richard was not English. I grudingly admit that being mostly Welsh, H. Twdor could claim an element of Britishness, but the French-loving haggis-chasers that followed the Twdors have little real Britishness in them, being descended from the Irish invaders.

tac

Wibbs wrote: »
    You might argue Harold was at least partly Dutch(and Scots IIRC)... :D On that score, though as Tac points out those following Richard were indeed more Welsh and Scots, they were also more "local" being British.

Like Tac I've always had a soft spot for Richard 3. Talk about a political hatchet job, though I suppose if you are to be on the receiving end of a hatchet job, you've not done too badly if Willie Shakespeare is writing the copy. :)

It'll be an amazing find if the DNA is still viable and can be matched.

Of course, it will change history.

The lawful and annointed king of England, slaughtered on the battlefield of Bosworth not far from where we live, and by treachery, and then supplanted by a bunch of furriners ever since.

ANY blood relative of Richard's will have a far greater claim to the throne of England than the bunch of furriners presently residing.

I have no axe to grind here, you understand, being only very slightly more 'British' than somebody who is totally Japanese, but I care to see that justice is done.

tac

BTW, why is this thread in 'archaeology?' and not 'History'?

Just askin'.

tac

BTW, why is this thread in 'archaeology?' and not 'History'?

Just askin'.

tac

Put it here because the story was about an archaeological excavation that uncovered a skellie that could be Richard III.

Also has the added bonus of the thread being less likely to be derailed with the usual 800 years nonsense on the History forum.

• Advertisement

Well technically the Stewarts been descended from Bretons could be classed as "British" given that the Bretons are Brythonic Celts who fled into Brittany from South-West Britain 1500 years ago ;)

They only arrived into Scotland in the 12th century with Walter fitz Alan son of Alan fitz Flaad who was a Breton knight. ;)

I should point out I may have a bias towards the Stewarts, some of recent genetic studies show that I'm somewhat related to them. Perhaps on order of in the last 2,000-2,500 years.

Basically I belong to a Y-Chromosome Haplogroup marked by SNP called DF41, long name of this is R1b1a2a1a1b3a9.

Turns outs the Stewarts belong to a subclade of Df41 marked by SNP's L744/L746 (R1b1a2a1a1b3a9a). This was confirmed last year when the Duke of Buccleuch was tested, he is L744+/L746+ and L745+ (R1b1a2a1a1b3a9a1). These markers are seen mostly in men bearing the surname Stewart. The Duke of course is the linear descendant of Charles II via his illegitimate son James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth (executed in 1685 by James II)

TBH, Mr dubhthach - that's a tenuous relationship, to be sure. I have more claim to the throne of Sweden than YOU do to that of England or Scotland, as MY genetic trace, I'm told leads me straight back to southern Sweden.

The present king of Sweden, a great chap, BTW, is decended from one of Napoleon's generals, one M. Bernadotte, and is about as Swedish as Geronimo.

tac

Sure why would I have a claim to the throne of England or Scotland? I'm simply pointing out that both myself and the House of Stewart share a common ancestor in the form of the first man who carried DF41 on his Y-Chromosome. Everyman on the planet who is DF41+ is a male line linear descendant of this man, who probably lived during the Iron Age.

Sure why would I have a claim to the throne of England or Scotland? I'm simply pointing out that both myself and the House of Stewart share a common ancestor in the form of the first man who carried DF41 on his Y-Chromosome. Everyman on the planet who is DF41+ is a male line linear descendant of this man, who probably lived during the Iron Age.

Well, in that case, as we are practically brothers, would you ever give me the load of twenty euros till my next payday?

tac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Gee Bag wrote: »
    A source with knowledge of the excavation told the Telegraph archaeologists will name the skeleton found beneath a Leicester car park in September as the Plantagenet king even if long-awaited DNA results on the bones prove inconclusive.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9745893/Carpark-skeleton-will-be-confirmed-as-Richard-III.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Well it looks like they are saying that it is himself that's in it (although that article that slowburner quoted will always be in the back of my mind reading about it!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-21063882

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

should have posted earlier sorry, brilliant documentary about the discovery right now on Channel 4, it started a good while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

should have posted earlier sorry, brilliant documentary about the discovery right now on Channel 4, it started a good while ago.
    its so exciting!!is it?isint it? i dont want the programme to end..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

That woman is so annoying. Had to turn it off before the end. Did the skeleton come alive and eat any souls?

• Advertisement

That Philippa was the queen of drama allright, get a grip Philippa :rolleyes:

Other than that it was great allright, I learned a lot, didn't know much about Richard III but it roused my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Nice article. I agree with the writer, there might remain some uncertainty, but sure what harm ?
    As far as I'm concerned, anything that might boost a town's heritage interest in both natives and tourists is good. Imagine all the kids now suddenly considering doing their school projects on some king, because it all seems a lot more "real" to them.

If there's a bit of legend/lore to it then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

If there's a bit of legend/lore to it then so be it.

" Legend is the live part of history" ...can't remember who said it, but it's a nice quote!

The battle over where Richard III's remains will end up has been won - by the city where his body was found under a car park.

Leicester has ended up being the final destination for the king's remains after York, the other contender, gave up the fight.

York Minster announced that it believed the King's remains should be commended "to Leicester's care".

Support for York as a final resting place had been growing with 11,000 people signing a petition calling for his remains to be brought to the city.
    As a member of the House of York, Richard III would have regarded York as the centre of his support.

But people in Leicester had been equally keen for his remains stay in the city. He was buried there for more than 500 years since being taken to the city following his death at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

The battle over where Richard III's remains will end up has been won - by the city where his body was found under a car park.

Leicester has ended up being the final destination for the king's remains after York, the other contender, gave up the fight.

York Minster announced that it believed the King's remains should be commended "to Leicester's care".

Support for York as a final resting place had been growing with 11,000 people signing a petition calling for his remains to be brought to the city.
    As a member of the House of York, Richard III would have regarded York as the centre of his support.

But people in Leicester had been equally keen for his remains stay in the city. He was buried there for more than 500 years since being taken to the city following his death at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485.

tac

I personally feel that the arguments put forth so far by Leicester are tenuous at best. Seeing as the interest in this find is overwhelming derived from the history of it, i.e Richards life, then I see absolutely no reason why he should remain in Leicester if, as you say Tac, York was his home. He is there due to a twist of fate, nothing more, and theyre just interested in the tourism prospect of it.

In saying that, Leicester probably could use a feather in its cap, its a dump.

Documentary soon on More4 139 on Richard III : The Unseen Story, at 9pm.

Not sure I'm going to watch it myself, there are one or two tempting ones on the doc channels : Viking Apocalypse on Nat Geo +1 starting at 9pm, or Vesuvius : Countdown to Eruption on NatGeoWild HD. (before Viking Ap. that is, right now, there China's lost pyramids that looks good too !)

Just thought I'd share, I often miss the good stuff myself from not bothering to check... :)

Timeteam are looking at some mosaics found under some farmer's pigsty, but I feel like something more dramatic tonight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

Come here, would you not just lose your life if you were unfortunate enough to mattock through his skull...

How did Jo Appleby get away with that one and live to tell the tale?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

The More 4 programme broadcast on Weds night can be accessed here for the next 4 weeks:
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/richard-iii-the-king-in-the-car-park/4od
    the original programme is also on that page but will be taken down next week

• Advertisement

Come here, would you not just lose your life if you were unfortunate enough to mattock through his skull...

How did Jo Appleby get away with that one and live to tell the tale?

Wouldn't be too harsh on her, many's the skeleton that had it's skull damaged with a mattock during excavation.

Advertisement