Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The End Of The Chris Moyles Show

Options
  • 12-09-2012 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I'm really feeling so sad that there are only 2 shows left. IMO, the best breakfast show in the UK & Ireland is coming to an end. Quite simply, there will be such a void left by Chris, Dom, Aled, Tina and Dave in the morning. The team have been fantastic and it will certainly be sad to see them go....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

conga, conga, conga!

conga, conga, conga!

conga like you mean it!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

conga, conga, conga!

conga, conga, conga!

conga like you mean it!

Who is Ray Foley going to steal ideas from now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Who is Ray Foley going to steal ideas from now?

Hector of course!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Fantastic send-off show this morning. Tomorrow's final show is gonna be so sad....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Why is he leaving. i dont get a chance to listen to the radio these days but used to love car park catch phrase!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Only ever get to listen to his first hour in the mornings. They sounded in good spirit this morning, although it'll be fairly tough for them to finish!

Ray Foley is the closest we have to anything like his style. i'm a fan of Moyles and Foley and know a lot of people are the opposite.

Moyles is a pro. Wish him the best.
    m.j.w wrote: »
    Why is he leaving. i dont get a chance to listen to the radio these days but used to love car park catch phrase!!

The BBC think he is past it, with just under 7 millions listeners. Imagine taking that decision! More pressure on the bosses and replacement than Moyles at this stage.

Although he did lose half a million listeners in the last ratings.

When he's out of contract at BBC he'll probably walk in to another high profile slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Anyone got suggestions of who to listen to now he is gone.

All Irish radio is unbearable in the morning and I cannot face listening to Nick Grimshaw, does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Have been listening for about 5 years now.
    Great show and great team.
    Genuinely funny and mostly unscripted and off the cuff.
    Can't believe they are replacing him with Nick bloody Grimshaw, such an annoying git...
    Trying to appeal to the younger generation???
    Sad day indeed.
    Back to Phantom I think and need to get some new music on my ipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

sham69 wrote: »
    Can't believe they are replacing him with Nick bloody Grimshaw, such an annoying git...
    Sad day indeed.

Agree with you completely.

I think I am only coming around recently to realising how horrendous Irish radio really is. Full of self obsession, celebrity boring un-entertaining drivel.. It's a pity considering our country is bulging with talent, characters and personalities.

Who is replacing the Phantom breakfast? (they are finishing today too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 disc79

Great last show . He will be missed, have been listening to moyles since he was on the early breakfast show .

Can't see grimshaw been any good especially at that time of the morning . The ideal replacement was mills but he is nearly the same age as moyles and the beeb want to attract a younger audience ...

Think I will listen to the sound of my own humming in the car , can't stand the thought of listening to Irish radio in the morning it's that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Chong wrote: »
    Anyone got suggestions of who to listen to now he is gone.

Richie and Michelle on Pure Mor.... oh wait.... nevermind :(

disc79 wrote: »
    Great last show . He will be missed, have been listening to moyles since he was on the early breakfast show .

Can't see grimshaw been any good especially at that time of the morning . The ideal replacement was mills but he is nearly the same age as moyles and the beeb want to attract a younger audience ...

Think I will listen to the sound of my own humming in the car , can't stand the thought of listening to Irish radio in the morning it's that bad

Mills was also the ideal replacement for me as well. He is doing the Breakfast show next week.
    Today's last show was absolutely amazing. What a way to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

Even if Chris Moyles is good at his job and popular, BBC Radio 1 have been overtly "youth" orientated since they culled Dave Lee Travis and Co in the early 90s. I also recall they refused to play a Status Quo single, despite it having charted (not a bad thing :) )

So thats just the nature of the format and anyone over 30 is in danger of being seen as over the hill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

sham69 wrote: »
    Sad day indeed.

It truly is a shame. The Chris Moyles show, whilst not always an example of top notch entertainment, was at least a beacon of light for an increasingly mediocre station.

In all honesty, I've pretty much stopped listening to Radio altogether in the last year or two. As far as I'm concerned, Podcasts are where it's at nowadays.

If anyone here is looking for something to replace the Chris Moyles Show in the morning, you should give Comedy Bang Bang a go. It's absolutely fantastic, and you're pretty much guaranteed a few belly laughs.

http://www.earwolf.com/show/comedy-bang-bang-podcast/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Am I alone in thinking that Moyles' show was gallingly bad?

Am I alone in thinking that Moyles' show was gallingly bad?

Looks like it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

Popular though he is, Chris Moyles appears not to fit the BBCs latest ideas on the purpose of Radio 1.

"In June, the BBC's governing body - the Trust - found that Radio 1 still needed to attract more people under 30 years old."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/18792684

What they're not saying is that they are prepared to lose listeners (i.e. all old fogies over 30) to achieve that target. I guess that's a luxury of a public service broadcaster!

Whilst I understand that public service broadcasting can have various mandates which may go against popular trends, e.g. most of what BBC Radio 4 does. But I'm afraid I can't really see why the BBC needs to be providing a radio station primarily aimed at teenagers, playing recently released chart pop music. When they are plenty of stations already doing this in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

Just wondering what is the general opinion of Chris's replacement, Nick Grimshaw. I was very unsure whether moving him to breakfast would work or not, I wasnt the biggest fan of his night time show, but I have been very impressed with his breakfast show!! I have been enjoying it, just wondering what do other people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I think it has been extremely poor, can't listen to him anymore. All I hear each morning is one direction and the teen awards. There use to be some banter with Moyles, and the features he had were excellent to listen too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Hate it as well. What's the story with Grimshaw being best buds with boy bands and teenie boppers? Is this being 'hip' in some sort of ironic way?

Way too much music too, you'd barely know there was actually anyone presenting. Plus the music is horrible, but that's just a personal opinion. Each to their own on that front.

Tried to listen just to say I gave him a chance.
    Terrible format, terrible music and just can't listen to Grimshaw.
    Awful voice for radio..
    He does seem to be mates with all the stars, Lily Allen, Kelly osbourne, one direction etc...
    Creepy ....

I'd have to agree that I've been wholly underwhelmed by Grimmy. I don't know if it's first week nerves and that he has huge shoes to fill, but I have really enjoyed him when he has covered for Scott or Greg James and his late night show won a lot of praise but the breakfast show hasn't been going well so far. All he seems interested in is 1D, Bieber etc. and Radio 1 think that this is the way to go for a succesful breakfast show? Yes, they are desperately trying to reduce the average age of the listeners but they are alienating listeners in the process.
    I also feel that Grimmy needs a team to bounce off. As much as Radio 1 are trying to drop the zoo format, they really should just accept that it is the best one for a breakfast show and give Matt Fincham (producer) and Tina Daheley (newsreader) a mic.
    Grimmy needs to realise that his constant tales of how he is friends with loads of showbiz people isn't going to impress listeners for 3 and a half hours every morning. He needs to talk about meaningful topics like the stories of the day and put his twist on them instead of going on about 1D which is nauseating and I'm in the lower portion of their demographic. I'm really missing Moyles and although I realise that Grimmy's only starting off, I wish Mills took over even though he doesn't want the breakfast show anymore......I haven't seen any special spark in Grimshaw so far.....

Advertisement