Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend a server for me

Options
  • 12-09-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭

Hi, first time poster in this area. Im looking at installing a server in a homebased office. I have 4 desktops and 1 laptop and adding a 2nd laptop soon (all microsoft , no macs)
    The business is an accountancy office and while the desktops are networked im not happy with the results.
    The programs i use is mostly SAGE and CCH and tas. I believe the Big red book is harder on a server. I have purchased all the licences myself so ihave ready access to the codes and support to complete the project. I kinda have a smallish budget (1k plus vat approx) because of the size of business.

So thats my requirements, any suggestions? with links

As im new here i presume links are ok mods?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

As im new here i presume links are ok mods?

Yup. Just no people trying to pimp their business to you. Recommendations are fine.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

funk-you wrote: »
    Yup. Just no people trying to pimp their business to you. Recommendations are fine.

-Funk

They can pimp in a Pm i presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

Let me expand your list:

-you're having business data locally stored on each laptop/desktop that needs to be centralized and properly shared/managed on the server based on client,year,project and so on;
    -you're having a network printer to share it across desktops/laptops in the office
    -you're having POP3/IMAP email setup on each laptop (and it needs to be backed-up daily)
    -antivirus installed on each laptop,non managed,individual profile
    -you're having a 100m/1000m switch that accommodates all the current networking devices and future purchases.
    -you have a safe location in the office that could take the new server,screen and a small UPS
    -you'll love the idea of having the possibility of getting remote access to your network from outside the office,also emails on your mobile devices

What you'll need in there is something like this,my personal choice:

-an entry level hardware/software platform,with built-in hardware redundancy and 3 years warranty NBD
    -Microsoft OS (non SBS due to cost but recommended)
    -some 'sort' of onsite/offsite backup for data and for emails
    -centrally managed antivirus with daily/weekly reports
    -installation of network devices
    -after sales support

From my past quotations,you can get it for around €2k ex. VAT at appropriate rates.

You can go the route of using Linux (not sure who is going to support it and at what price ) or using a NAS (i don't recommend for live business data).

PM an email address and i will send you a quotation.

Regards

PS
    We can't approach the poster via PM with business offers unless the poster give permission.At least that's what i understood myself.
    Otherwise,you'll be flooded with PMs selling you lot of ... servers !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

For a cheap (€1000) and cheerful solution

Get a decent raided second hand Dell Poweredge 2950 (lots of them around) and some sort of Online backup facility (Google Drive, Dropbox, MS Sky drive or KeepITsafe|Savenet).

You take the risk on the hardware failing but the backup should cover you. The PE2950s are pretty rock solid we have had quite a few running non stop for years now and they have never had a hardware failure.

Your backup is the key component.

Have a look at the below

https://www.dropbox.com/teams/pricing

*I dont work for any of the companies listed above. Just thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

I'm not so sure you require a server as such based on those requirements, more likely NAS with redundancy and off-site storage. Servers can also run very very loud - something to consider.

My starting point for you would be what are the system requirements for the software packages you mentioned (for multiple users).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

druidhill wrote: »
    ...Servers can also run very very loud - something to consider.

Very good point druidhill and something I never remember. Servers are loud when you are not use to them and run 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

My packages are multi users

The server will be in a seperate room (Well ventilated)

I dont want to be on cloud computing Sorry

I just want an area to store the packages. All my computers have there own printers.

I have lost information previously when a motherboard went and never what that to happen again

You should not have lost that much information if the motherboard went, more than likely the disks were fine.
    That's a lot of printers (and a lot of ink) - could be worth looking into a more cost effective solution.
    You'll have to have some sort of off-site backup to plan for worst case scenario.
    I'm not familiar with any of the accountancy packages you mentioned but I'm sure some sort of NAS would fit the bill (someone with first hand experience could provide more insight).

Hi,
    Interesting posts...

Servers noisy !? Maybe older first generation but latest models comes with Dynamic Power / Cooling Management embedded solution that automatically adjust power/cooling -=< aka "noise" based on demand,performance and other complex factors.Also,an office server is kept in a proper room and not beside the MD's desk! Or even worse,in the reception area !!

NAS is out of conversation,stop pushing for NAS please ! NAS is an addition to a network not a central live storage for a business network !!

All the LoB (Line of Business) proper designed applications requires a server,preferably Microsoft based.

Sage/TAS "won't talk" to you if you have a multiuser license and is stored on a PC ,peer-to-peer ! They are requiring server based setup! Imagine having your customers data stored somewhere and when called to ask for information ,over the phone,you have to tell that "my data is on the cloud and the cloud now is ...clouded,raining ! I cannot access it,i need to wait for the Cloud man to restore my data" !

Backup of SAGE based products is important,one single lost transaction could mean lot of moneys...What i suggest is using 'some' type of real time replication,from local server storage on to a local connected removable drive.That replica will work every 15 minute,copying data in two separate locations.Every record saved in SAGE it will be saved on the main server,then every 15 minute copied in two different location.
    Assume server goes offline,disconnect removable drive,connect to another computer and recreate network mapping via script and refresh the database.
    Data lost (in time) objective= 16 minute recovery point (from the very last second when user saved information,realtime replication copied from server-to-replica drive)
    Recovery lost(in time) objective = 5 minutes recovery time (your users won't even have time to start Solitaire by the time you have access online to SAGE database)

cloud based... not sure...
    You have to call your so well much hyped promoted advertised local based online backup company to check for restore.After been on hold for dunno minutes, you'll talk with XZY that needs few minutes to get your security details as per last account update by your long gone IT guy,then to get used used to your local setup,identify your last backup set,then to begin restore process,disconnect all internet devices so that you'll have a good broadband dload speed and then validate the backup is the one hopefully asked and got from them.
    Time wise...have a guess yourself how many coffees,games and chats your well paid staff can have !

What a practice like this needs is a local server for storage and management,local backup (onsite and offsite recovery).
    Full control over it's IT network and management.

Regards.

...What i suggest is using 'some' type of real time replication,from local server storage on to a local connected removable drive...
    or even a NAS :D Couldn't resist.
    What a practice like this needs is a local server for storage and management,local backup (onsite and offsite recovery). Full control over it's IT network and management.

You are right. What would you recommend in terms of off-site recovery?

• Advertisement

Thanks for update...

If you read my posts,you'll see that i am against a NAS as main live data storage device and not used as a backup or secondary type ! ;)

Re "recommend in terms of off-site recovery" i will kindly ask you to define your business & technical requirements,constraints,scenarios and budget for this type of process ! Then,we'll take it from there...

From my past experience and many IT audits...
    -spent thousands on a tape backup solution and leave the tapes on top of the server, beside the CRT monitor and EMF filed effects are well known
    -removable hard drive,no encryption and in plain text stored data,lost drives and mechanically clicks when attempting a recovery !
    -cloud based overnight copy and then,when data needed internet access in client's site is down.

Please feel free to share yours...i reckon has to a balance between monthly recurring cost,data to be protected ,recovery real objectives and chosen solution !

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sbran

hi

you could get away with a hp ml110 with 10gb of ram you could run big red book and sage all off it with windows standard instead of sbs 2008 or what ever

i see your an accountancy firm by law does your backups have to be within the eu if not there is a company called carbonite and they are dirt cheap for unlimited space and the security and encryption are very good

if you wanted shared diarys you could use office 365 or ifyou wanted to move off pop3 it is hosted exchange and is only 4e per mailbox which includeds spam filtering backup and remote webmail anywhere

you would be looking at about the guts of 1500e -2000e ish labour will be the most expensive thing

any questions just pm

Advertisement