Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick while on Job seekers allowance

Options
  • 12-09-2012 1:32am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi-
    Does anyone know if somebody has been claiming JSA for 3 years and is now ill and unable to sign on and look for work, are they entitled to anything?

A family member has been in hospital and applied for Illness Benefit but we've got a letter back saying that she's not entitled to anything because she has no relevant PRSI contributions.
    Is that right? Can they leave somebody with no money at all? :confused:

I'll be checking this out myself of course, but if anyone has any information about such a situation it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

They will need to go to their community welfare officer and see about claiming Supplementary Welfare Allowance. if they cannot get Illness Benefit.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Is there not a means tested version of Illness Benifit (I wanna call it Illness Allowance!!!!) tho. Cos it is completely unfair to say you haven't been working so you can either not be sick and claim Jobseekers or you can be sick and starve. I didn't think that SWA was something you could claim for long and I always thought it had to be paid back when you were put on the proper benefit. Like if you were waiting on JSA you got SWA but when your JSA and arrears came thru you had to pay them back. I didn't think they paid out weekly and didn't expect back, the only time I thought stuff wasn't expected back was once off hardship payments such as for an appliance etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

hdowney wrote: »
    Is there not a means tested version of Illness Benifit (I wanna call it Illness Allowance!!!!) tho. Cos it is completely unfair to say you haven't been working so you can either not be sick and claim Jobseekers or you can be sick and starve. I didn't think that SWA was something you could claim for long and I always thought it had to be paid back when you were put on the proper benefit. Like if you were waiting on JSA you got SWA but when your JSA and arrears came thru you had to pay them back. I didn't think they paid out weekly and didn't expect back, the only time I thought stuff wasn't expected back was once off hardship payments such as for an appliance etc

If you are not entitled to sick pay from work you may get Illness Benefit if you have enough (PRSI) social insurance contributions - see 'Rules' below. If you do not have enough social insurance contributions, you should contact the Department of Social Protection's representative (formerly known as the Community Welfare Officer) at your local health centre. The Department's representative will assess your situation and may give you a Supplementary Welfare Allowance.

From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

mp22 wrote: »
    If you are not entitled to sick pay from work you may get Illness Benefit if you have enough (PRSI) social insurance contributions - see 'Rules' below. If you do not have enough social insurance contributions, you should contact the Department of Social Protection's representative (formerly known as the Community Welfare Officer) at your local health centre. The Department's representative will assess your situation and may give you a Supplementary Welfare Allowance.

From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_benefit.html

Cool I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

3 years on JSA prior to getting sick? That honestly amazes me that they couldn't find any form of work in 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

La Haine wrote: »
    3 years on JSA prior to getting sick? That honestly amazes me that they couldn't find any form of work in 3 years.

Your failure to read the forum charter is equally amazing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

La Haine wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't dignify it with an answer, but I feel I would like to point out that the person is question was working almost 40 years and made redundant 3 years ago at the age of 60.
    It is actually reasonably difficult, surprisingly enough, for a woman in her 60's with poor health to find work in this country.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys- will be checking this out next week. :)

Advertisement