Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Barlow, underrated, overrated, justified?

Options
  • 12-09-2012 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Noticed there was a lack of discussion regarding Gary Barlow in this forum, and thought it would be an idea seen as how he's recieved so much praise over the past few years since the reunion of Take That even with Nicky Wire of the Manic Street Preachers praising him as a genius.

Personally I've always been an admirer of Barlow as a singer-songwriter and in certain respects we may say he's very well-rounded, not just being a gifted lyricist. He may not be the best songwriter technically, if you compare his lyrics to the watertight poetry of Cohen, Young and Dylan, but Gary is also an incredible singer and IMO is superior to those three (despite the fact they may be better writers). Gary also produces a lot of TT's material, as well as having done much of the software programming on their last album, which was mainly electronica-based. I won't bring up him being a pianist, as he's arguably average in that respect.

There's also a rumour the Bee Gees wrote Back For Good and gave up the royalties to Barlow in return for TT covering How Deep Is Your Love, which I find pathetic as the former made much more money than the TT version of HDIYL, and the Bee Gees ever writing BFG it in interviews.

But is it because he's a member of a boyband, and that boyband made him famous that a lot of people still frown upon Gary and refuse to accept he has talent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

about 18 mins in he talks about how he came about back for good.

I have to say I like him and he is really good in this interview imo.

Just the way he get's around dry spells and such. I think he has talent. Maybe not all his song to my liking but if you just look at the song's he wrote coming up with music first then lyrics I think that's quite good. Not afraid of saying he wears his heart on his sleeve and just write pop song because he enjoys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

He's so talented, he puts Elvis Costello, Paul McCartney, Joni Mitchell, Ron Sexsmith and Paul Weller in the shade! Not only that, but he's so dreamy too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I may have been a bit hard on Gazza.
    Of course as a songwriter, he's a competent, decent craftsman.
    Sorry for being flippant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Seriously talented songwriter I would say, great singer too

Advertisement