Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to figure out a thesis topic.

Options
  • 12-09-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to establish what I want to write my thesis on.

Currently I am on placement in an Industrial Diamond company that cut diamond pieces for use on cutting tools.

I'm doing my Masters in Information Technology and ideally would like to go down the consultancy route.

On placement I've created a lot of Microsoft Access databases that will record data from operators on the shop floor and generate reports that have been standardised to be consistent across the boards they are placed on.

I have also been investigating software to track data from the machines that cut the diamond and work orders around the shop floor so that they can establish times and metrics and hopefully reduce cycle times.

Along with this we have been looking at using RFID tags to actually track the location of work orders at any given time.

I am supposed to use my placement as a case study within the thesis.

Drawing on what I've been doing and what I want to do in the future, does anyone know what topics I should be looking at that would appeal to IT consultancy firms?

I should probably keep it broad because I will have about 4 months to write it so won't have time to contribute anything ground breaking or completely unique to the field.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

It's hard to give any answer to this question, but all I would say is that make sure you pick a topic that you know you can do well in, and finish on time. I've seen a lot of people hand in great topic ideas but not fully completed because it was just a bit too demanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dave the bear

My main concern is figuring out a topic that will keep me interested and I won't regret doing but at the same time appeal to future employers.

My head is fairly screwed on so as long as I'm interested, getting it finished on time shouldn't be an issue...I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,868 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Could you speak to lecturers and ask for advice?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dave the bear

Got some decent advice off my year head.

Now to write the proposal.

Advertisement