Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log cabin- DIY or kit??

Options
  • 11-09-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all. I'm new to boards and herd it's a great place for advice. Me and my girlfriend are saving for a house but are struggling due to high rent. We have decided to move home to save money which we feel we're wasting on rent but want to keep some independence. We plan on building a log cabin in my girlfriends parents back garden. We're thinking about 6.5m by 4m. Does anyone have any experience in doing this and is it actually practical to live in a log cabin for a year or maybe two. All advise and tips would be greatly appreciated. Type of foundation? Insulation? Timber? Should we just buy a kit? Ideas for plans? We'd ideally like a one bed with bathroom, kitchen and living room. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My experience of a log cabin,

Hot in the winter, Freezing cold at times in the summer. They are very good insulators, Require regular maintenance, never have much room for more than 2 even though they are set up for a family.

Everything like concrete base and 1 st fix plumbing must be put together before house comes. You will need a crane to put a good one into place so access is important.

Dont rent - Rent is dead money Blahh blahh blahh....

Rent an apartment. someone where at least a mile from the parents. Or a room in somone elses house. At least your mom wont hear you fighting

Advertisement